Light Cone Analogue in Minkowski Space: Exploring Null Rays

In summary, in Minkowski space, the set of all possible null rays from a point forms a cone, characterized by the equation ##x_1^2=x_2^2+x_3^2+x_4^2##. However, if the signature of Minkowski is changed to (-,-,+,+), the set of null rays forms a hyperboloid, given by the equation ##x_1^2=-x_2^2+x_3^2+x_4^2##. This results in a "hyper-hyperboloid" shape, with each choice of ##x_1## corresponding to a different shaped hyperboloid.
adsquestion
in Minkowksi, the set of all possible null rays from a point defines a cone (light cone).

Now imagine I change the signature of Minkowski from (-,+,+,+) to (-,-,+,+) i.e. a space with two timelike directions and a metric ##ds^2=-dx_1^2-dx_2^2+dx_3^2+dx_4^2##. What kind of surface would the set of null rays form? Is it still a cone? Or is it something else?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How would you go about showing that the set of possible null-rays forms a cone in the regular metric?

Simon Bridge said:
How would you go about showing that the set of possible null-rays forms a cone in the regular metric?
Probably by noting that possible null trajectories have ##ds^2=0## and by differentiating with respect to the affine parameter, we see this corresponds to ##x_1^2=x_2^2+x_3^2+x_4^2## (working with Minkowski at the moment). This can be recognised as the equation of a cone (really a 4d hypercone I suppose).

Now for the case at hand we'd arrive at something like ##x_1^2+x_2^2=x_3^2+x_4^2## and I'm not sure how to interpret this? Would there be an apex in two of the directions?

Writing it ##x_1^2 = - x_2^2 + x_3^2+x_4^2## may help.

fresh_42 said:
Writing it ##x_1^2 = - x_2^2 + x_3^2+x_4^2## may help.
so it's like a "hyper-hyperboloid"? it looks like each choice of ##x_1## gives a different shaped hyperboloid.

I'm not quite sure for my imagination of 4-d objects isn't very well. But to illustrate the light cone you already contracted two space dimensions to one, i.e. the light cone is actually the shape of emerging circles ##x_1^2 =x_2^2+x_3^2## of radius ##x_1 ∈ [0,∞[ ##. Applying the same here would give us ##x_1^2 = - x_2^2 + x_3^2## with ##x_1 ∈ [0,∞[ ##, a hyperboloid. At least this is my understanding of the situation.

Related to Light Cone Analogue in Minkowski Space: Exploring Null Rays

1. What is a light cone analogue in Minkowski space?

A light cone analogue in Minkowski space is a mathematical concept used to describe the paths of light rays in a specific type of spacetime known as Minkowski space. This concept helps scientists understand the behavior of light and other electromagnetic radiation in this type of spacetime.

2. How is a light cone analogue different from a regular light cone?

A light cone analogue is different from a regular light cone because it is a mathematical construct used to describe the behavior of light in Minkowski space, rather than a physical object or phenomenon. Regular light cones are used in physics to describe the causality and time-like relationships between events in spacetime.

3. What are null rays in Minkowski space?

Null rays, also known as null geodesics, are paths that light takes in Minkowski space. These paths have a constant speed of light and represent the boundaries of the light cone. Null rays are also used to describe the paths of other forms of electromagnetic radiation, such as radio waves and gamma rays, in Minkowski space.

4. How does the concept of a light cone analogue help scientists explore null rays?

The concept of a light cone analogue helps scientists explore null rays by providing a framework for understanding the behavior of light in a specific type of spacetime. By studying null rays and their relationship to the light cone in Minkowski space, scientists can gain insights into the fundamental properties of light and electromagnetic radiation.

5. What are some potential applications of studying light cone analogues in Minkowski space?

Studying light cone analogues in Minkowski space has potential applications in various fields, including astrophysics, cosmology, and theoretical physics. It can help scientists better understand the behavior of light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation in extreme environments, such as near black holes or during the early universe. It can also aid in the development of new theories and models for understanding the fundamental laws of the universe.