L'Hopital's rule graph problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of evaluating the limit of a given expression as x approaches 0. The use of L'Hopital's rule is suggested, but the person asking the question is not familiar with it. Another method involving multiplying by a certain factor and using trigonometric identities is suggested. The conversation also touches on the use of graphs and the need for a proof in mathematical problems. Ultimately, the solution of the limit is found to be 1/4.
Moose352
Why can't I solve this?
[tex]
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sqrt{1+\tan(x)}-\sqrt{1+\sin(x)}}{x^3}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What is the problem? (I don't understand your problem statement.) Are you trying to find the limit of that expression as x goes to something?

Yes, I need to evaluate the limit as x->0.

L'Hopital's Rule

Are you familiar with L'Hopital's rule? (Look it up!) It's very useful for evaluating functions with indeterminate form (like 0/0).

No I'm not familiar with L'Hopital's rule. I looked it up in my book (it was listed as L'Hospital's rule :smile: ) but I'm quite sure the problem should be able to be solved without using L'Hopital's rule.

Last edited:
If you graph the equation, it's pretty clear that the limit is infinity.

No, the limit is 1/4.

Moose352 said:
No I'm not familiar with L'Hopital's rule. I looked it up in my book (it was listed as L'Hospital's rule :smile: ) but I'm quite sure the problem should be able to be solved without using L'Hopital's rule.

Why do you say that?

cookiemonster

Well, because L'Hopital's Rule is like 4 chapters away! So assuming that my book hasn't screwed up, I would think they wouldn't put a problem requiring knowledge of L'Hopital's Rule without introducing it first!

Well, what are you "allowed" to use?

cookiemonster

multiply the numerator and denominator by sqrt(1+tanx)+sqrt(1+sinx). Then you should have the factor tanx-sinx in your numerator. Now let t = tan(x/2), then tan(x) = 2t/(1-t^2), sin(x) = 2t/(1+t^2). Plug into the original expression, and note that the limit of tan(x/2)/x as x tends to 0 is 1/2. (This follows from the fact that lim sin(x)/x = 1, which can be proved without L'Hospital's rule.)

I guess my graph is wrong. Perhaps I typed the equation incorrectly. Drat.

Hmm, I think I may have solved it. I'm really tired, so I probably made a lot of mistakes:

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{1+\tan(x)}-\sqrt{1+\sin(x)}}{x^3}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{\tan(x)-\sin(x)}{x^3(\sqrt{1+\tan(x)}+\sqrt{1+\sin(x)})}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)}-\sin(x)}{x^3(\sqrt{1+\tan(x)}+\sqrt{1+\sin(x)})}[/tex]

Since the limit of sin(x)/x = 1 as x->0,

[tex]=\frac{\frac{1}{\cos(x)}-1}{x^2(\sqrt{1+\tan(x)}+\sqrt{1+\sin(x)})}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1-\cos(x)}{x^2\cos(x)(\sqrt{1+\tan(x)}+\sqrt{1+\sin(x)})}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{\sin(x)^2}{x^2\cos(x)(\sqrt{1+\tan(x)}+\sqrt{1+\sin(x)})(1+\cos(x))}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{\cos(x)(\sqrt{1+\tan(x)}+\sqrt{1+\sin(x)})(1+\cos(x))}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{1(\sqrt{1+0}+\sqrt{1+0})(1+1)}=\frac{1}{4}[/tex]

Does this work? Wong, I haven't checked out your solution yet.

Last edited:
[tex]=\frac{\sin(x)^2}{x^2\cos(x)(\sqrt{1+\tan(x)}+\sqr t{1+\sin(x)})(1+\cos(x))}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{\sin(x)^2}{x^2\cos(x)(\sqrt{1+\tan(x)}+\sqr t{1+\sin(x)})(1+\cos(x))}[/tex]

How do you do this step? The first has cos(x), not cos2(x).

It does reduce to [tex]lim_{x->0}\frac{1- cos(x)}{x^2}[/tex] since the rest has a limit of the rest is 1/2. I would do that either by L'Hopital's rule or by replacing cos(x) by by its McLaurin series. Either way the whole limit is 1/4.

Not sure what your question is Halls, but if you're asking how I got from 1-cos(x) to 1-cos(x)^2, i multiplied numerator and denominator by 1+cos(x). What

You can evaluate the limit as it is just using a table or a graph. Once I typed in the equation properly, the value of f(x) approached 0.25 as x approached 0, from both sides. Why bother doing all this? Were you asked to prove that the limit is 0.25?

Because THIS IS MATH, not a drawing , guessing game.

To Moose353: Sorry, I didn't see the 1+ cos(x) in the denominator. I see nothing wrong with your solution.

To Loseyourname: Hello3719's point is that drawing a graph and observing that it APPEARS to converge to 1/4 doesn't prove that it does (as opposed to converging to 0.2500000000000000000000000000001, say).

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem Halls. Thanks for the help!

HallsofIvy said:
To Moose353: Sorry, I didn't see the 1+ cos(x) in the denominator. I see nothing wrong with your solution.

To Loseyourname: Hello3719's point is that drawing a graph and observing that it APPEARS to converge to 1/4 doesn't prove that it does (as opposed to converging to 0.2500000000000000000000000000001, say).

I know. That's why I asked if he simply needed to get an answer or if he needed to prove an answer. If no proof is needed, a shortcut never hurts.

Related to L'Hopital's rule graph problem

1. What is L'Hopital's rule and how does it apply to graph problems?

L'Hopital's rule is a mathematical concept that is used to evaluate limits of indeterminate forms. In the context of graph problems, it is used to find the limit of a function at a specific point on the graph.

2. When should L'Hopital's rule be used in a graph problem?

L'Hopital's rule should be used when a limit of a function at a specific point on the graph gives an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It can also be used when trying to evaluate the limit of a quotient of two functions that are both approaching 0 or ∞.

3. Are there any limitations to using L'Hopital's rule in graph problems?

Yes, there are limitations to using L'Hopital's rule in graph problems. It can only be used when dealing with functions that are continuous and differentiable at the point in question. Additionally, it can only be used when the limit is approaching a finite number or ∞.

4. Can L'Hopital's rule be applied to all types of graph problems?

No, L'Hopital's rule is only applicable to certain types of graph problems, specifically those involving limits and indeterminate forms. It cannot be used to solve other types of graph problems, such as finding the minimum or maximum of a function.

5. Are there any alternative methods to solving graph problems without using L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, there are alternative methods to solving graph problems without using L'Hopital's rule. These include using algebraic manipulation, substitution, and graphing techniques. However, L'Hopital's rule is often the most efficient and accurate method for solving certain types of graph problems.