LG 4K TV & Sound Bar Setup: Cable Connections & Trouble-Shooting

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the LG sound bar is not wireless and does not work with the TV. The TV and soundbar are incompatible and the setup instructions are terrible.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I just dropped $1700 on a 4K TV and "wireless" Sound Bar from LG.

The setup instructions of the sound bar (6 pictures in a manual 2 pages long), show how to connect them with
- optical cable
- HDMI
Those are the options.

How is this a wireless sound bar if it requires cables??

Not that it matters; it doesn't work no matter which way I slice it.

I hate hate hate hate hate technology.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
What sound bar did you buy? I'd like to know which one to avoid. :rolleyes:

DaveC426913 said:
- optical cable

Not technically a wire?

Kind of a bait and switch if that's what they meant.

BoB

If you post the model number, I can look up the instructions. Maybe you missed something? I would think that they would get sued for advertising a wireless device that isn't wireless.

Perhaps "wireless" just means streaming to the soundbar via Bluetooth from a smartphone or other mobile device. This article about soundbars doesn't mention streaming from the TV to the soundbar, just wired connections, but it does mention streaming from phones and tablets.

[added] Aha, the accompanying review of an LG soundbar (don't know if it's the one you have) does mention streaming from the TV.
The $499 speaker system can receive audio from your television over HDMI, optical, and analog connections, or even wirelessly with Bluetooth if you have a compatible LG TV. If that isn't enough, LG's Music Flow wireless audio platform let's you stream music from your mobile device over Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, with support for Google Cast.

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
After much bulging blood vesseldom, I have determined that it's the TV that does not support Wireless bluetooth connection.

!*&#!@# tech at Best Buy sold me incompatible components.

TV:
http://www.lg.com/ca_en/tvs/lg-55UH6150-lg-4k-uhd-tv
Soundbar:
http://www.lg.com/us/home-audio/lg-SH5B-sound-bar

DaveC426913 said:

They either don't know about what they are selling or don't care if they rip you off.

I have had the pleasure of being warned of incompatibility from time to time about tech items. Most of the time they weren't to be used together but I have been saved from getting a headache once or twice. That was back around the turn of the century. Business models have ""advanced"" since then.

BoB

rbelli1 said:
They either don't know about what they are selling or don't care if they rip you off.
They had the 2 TVs and 2 soundbars set up.

For the TV I chose, the soundbar was the cheaper model, and the TV next to it had the next grade up. I asked if I could use the expensiver one with the TV of my choice and he said yes.

Anyway, the optical cable is not a show stopper. It's the shockingly crappy setup manuals and component setup user experience that's left a bad taste.

DaveC426913 said:
I'm sorry for your troubles, but, no they didn't; they sold you perfectly well compatible components. You didn't specifically ask the salesman (not "tech") if they could connect to each other wirelessly, did you?
Is this problem really new? I doubt there's been a TV sold in 50 years that only had a single means of connectivity with external devices. For that matter, steam locomotives were "technology" too, back in the 1860s -- and when you bought one, you had to make sure it was compatible with your tracks!

russ_watters said:
Sorry, no they didn't; they sold you perfectly well compatible components. You didn't specifically ask the salesman (not "tech") if the could connect to each other wirelessly, did you?
So, a salesman handholding you through the selection process for $1700 of equipment is not what they're there for?

I guess you're Camp Caveat Emptor pretty hardcore?

DaveC426913 said:
So, a salesman handholding you through the selection process for $1700 of equipment is not what they're there for?
No, it isn't. They are there to sell you the most expensive TVs and sound bars they have and can get you to buy. They aren't there to sell you the ones you need.
I guess you're Camp Caveat Emptor pretty hardcore?
Absolutely. Have you ever been clothes shopping and had the salesman tell you the shoes you are trying on look terrible on you? Ever had a car salesman tell you the car he was selling wasn't perfect for you? These people are not your advocate, they are trying to make a living by selling as much as they can. Shopping is war and salesmen are your enemy -- it's never been any different.

The *only* thing you should need a salesman for at Best Buy for besides ringing-up the sale itself is pushing the hand-truck to your car.

[edit] Ugh. I don't even like "Caveat Emptor". It implies that there even *should* be a responsibility that is sometimes not upheld. That in and of itself is a mistake: there is no such responsibility among salesmen.

russ_watters said:
No, it isn't. They are there to sell you the most expensive TVs and sound bars they have and can get you to buy. They aren't there to sell you the ones you need.
Hang on.

I'm not saying he needs to judge the "best" equipment for me; but surely, when I ask him if I can use this Wireless Soundbar with this TV, he has an obligation to tell me they're not compatible.

russ_watters said:
Absolutely. Have you ever been clothes shopping and had the salesman tell you the shoes you are trying on look terrible on you? Ever had a car salesman tell you the car he was selling wasn't perfect for you?
Judgment is subjective. I have no problem with that. That's a red herring.

Would the salesman be irresponsible if he sold me a gasoline car - and $500 of diesel?

russ_watters said:
It implies that there even *should* be a responsibility that is sometimes not upheld.

There should be at least some fiduciary duty as a happy customer will come back in the future or recommend their friends. An upset customer will do neither of these.

I know modern business treat all of their customers as marks these days. Maybe that's why online sales are booming and brick and mortar is crumbling. At least you don't expect online sales to be reviewed for suitability at all.

BoB

DaveC426913 said:
I'm not saying he needs to judge the "best" equipment for me; but surely, when I ask him if I can use this Wireless Soundbar with this TV, he has an obligation to tell me they're not compatible.
They *are* compatible, Dave!
Would the salesman be irresponsible if he sold me a gasoline car - and $500 of diesel?
Yes: they aren't compatible.
Judgment is subjective. I have no problem with that. That's a red herring.
No, *that* is a red herring. When salesmen *always* tell you you look good, sorry Dave, but you don't always look good, subjective or not. They are trying to close the sale.

rbelli1 said:
There should be at least some fiduciary duty as a happy customer will come back in the future or recommend their friends. An upset customer will do neither of these.
True! But salesmen are shortsighted. Hey - I didn't claim they were good at their jobs, I'm just explaining how the mindset works! And the unfortunate reality is that salesmen are so universally bad that the "bad word of mouth" issue doesn't really harm them. Where are you going to go where the salesmen are better? Answer:
I know modern business treat all of their customers as marks these days. Maybe that's why online sales are booming and brick and mortar is crumbling. At least you don't expect online sales to be reviewed for suitability at all.
Yep. You're going to Amazon and not Best Buy so you can bypass the salesmanship carp -- that's why the Big Box retailers are going down the tubes.

Quick story: I've only bought two new cars in my life, both negotiated via email, except that in both cases I gave the guy who gave me the test-drive the best shot in the interest of fairness for his effort and in both cases he blew it by trying to trick me. In the most recent example, I took my previous car in and asked for a trade-in quote. He gave me an "estimate" that was a range. I noticed, but didn't say anything. When I went back later to buy the car, he gave me the real quote, which was well below even the "estimate" range. I called him out on it, then walked-out. Wow, was he pissed.

russ_watters said:
Yes: they aren't compatible.
Why not? My car could still operate - if not as advertized on the box - on diesel.

russ_watters said:
No, *that* is a red herring. When salesmen *always* tell you you look good, sorry Dave, but you don't always look good, subjective or not. They are trying to close the sale.
You missed the point.

I don't have a problem with a salesman telling me I look good, or that I need the $2000 system.
That's subjective. He's not wrong.

But sending me on my way with a gas car and a diesel voucher is not in the same category as "You look like a Porsche man to me."

russ_watters said:
Hey - I didn't claim they were good at their jobs, I'm just explaining how the mindset works!
You're apologizing for them.
You're rationalizing that it's just a sales tactic to sell something that doesn't work as described.

DaveC426913 said:
Why not? My car could still operate - if not as advertized on the box - on diesel.
I don't think that is true.
You missed the point.

I don't have a problem with a salesman telling me I look good, or that I need the $2000 system.
That's subjective. He's not wrong.
It's subjective -- but not completely subjective. I can't believe you don't have a problem with that! Heck, this is the very thing you are complaining about!
But sending me on my way with a gas car and a diesel voucher is not in the same category as "You look like a Porsche man to me."
Agreed.

Dave, I understand you are upset that you had a bad experience with a salesman, but please, for the sake of your next experience, accept reality. You edited-out from the quotes from me a key fact and are trying to downplay that reality of what happened in favor of a strawman:
-The products you bought *are* compatible with each other. They will work fine together when properly connected.
-Diesel and gas *are not* compatible: If you run the wrong fuel, you will permanently damage your engine.

russ_watters said:
-The products you bought *are* compatible with each other. They will work fine together when properly connected.
"Properly connected" for a "wireless bluetooth-connected device" means "connected wirelessly by bluetooth".

The TV does not have bluetooth capability.

DaveC426913 said:
You're apologizing for them.
You're rationalizing that it's just a sales tactic to sell something that doesn't work as described.
Dave, I try not to be a hateful person, but when I experience bad salesmanship, it is tough. Typically, when the stakes are high (as in my car story), I set up clear-cut criteria and let them know when they violate it. I have no sympathy for someone who purposely tries to trick someone and came away from those experiences a bit angry, but mostly just enjoying the reverse-screw. And that lack of sympathy, by the way, includes the clothes salesmen who tell you you look good when you don't. But when the stakes are that low, I tend to laugh-it off.

But near as I can tell from your description, the salesman in your example didn't do anything wrong - not even a little bit misleading. Why? Because you have a TV and a soundbar that *are* compatible with each other - even though you are repeatedly, falsely claiming they aren't - and based on your description, I don't think you asked the right questions. The salesman is not a mindreader. He doesn't know how you want to connect the two products that have multiple connection methods unless you explicitly tell him.

Likes Tom.G
DaveC426913 said:
"Properly connected" for a "wireless bluetooth-connected device" means "connected wirelessly by bluetooth".
C'mon, Dave. The soundbar doesn't just have bluetooth, does it? My TV and receiver each have half a dozen different ways of connecting, about half of which overlap.

To put a finer point on it, here's the LG website for the first I found from a Google:
Your LG Sound Bar is a versatile speaker that can be connected to a variety of devices in a variety of ways. Learn how to get them all connected.
http://www.lg.com/us/support/answers/sound-bar2015/connect-your-soundbar

It looks to me like LG tried really hard to clear-up the complicated connectivity situation. But they can only show you one half at a time.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
The salesman is not a mindreader. He doesn't know how you want to connect the two products that have multiple connection methods unless you explicitly tell him.
Let me put a finer point on this last one:

It is probably most common for the components of an entertainment center to be connected to each other via wires in the back of the entertainment center. That would be my default assumption.

A soundbar, however, should be able to connect to devices *besides the TV*, such as a cell phone. And for that purpose, it should have bluetooth (or wifi).

So if someone told me they were getting a bluetooth wireless soundbar, I would assume they were connecting to their TV/cable with a wire and using the bluetooth to connect to their phone.

Likes NTL2009
So did the TV and sound bar work out of the box or were you required to get yet another part (wire/fiber/whatever) to get them to work? Did either doohickey come with the required things?

BoB

rbelli1 said:
So did the TV and sound bar work out of the box or were you required to get yet another part (wire/fiber/whatever) to get them to work? Did either doohickey come with the required things?
Often, a TV will come with the most commonly used connecting cable (hdmi). They never come with all of them - nor should they. You don't want to be paying for a bunch of cables you don't need.

I can sell you a gasoline car and diesel fuel in the same sale without feeling dishonest because they are 2 perfectly fine products that can be used separately. What is unethical is to tell you that you can use them together. At worst, if you asked the question, I should say «I don't know.» But in the end, it is the buyer's responsibility to know what he or she is buying.

I can buy an ammonia cleanser and bleach at my local grocery store and no salespersons warns me about not mixing them together.

russ_watters said:
Let me put a finer point on this last one:

It is probably most common for the components of an entertainment center to be connected to each other via wires in the back of the entertainment center. That would be my default assumption.

A soundbar, however, should be able to connect to devices *besides the TV*, such as a cell phone. And for that purpose, it should have bluetooth (or wifi).

So if someone told me they were getting a bluetooth wireless soundbar, I would assume they were connecting to their TV/cable with a wire and using the bluetooth to connect to their phone.
This hits the bullseye. The OP is complaining that not ALL input modes of the soundbar are supported by the TV. But it does support one (or more) of the output modes of the TV. So it is compatible with the TV.

Plus, it can connect over Bluetooth to other devices. Cool! Wish I had one!

Devices have multiple i/o so they can connect to a variety of other devices. That doesn't mean you should expect that all devices can connect through all i/o's. One is all they need to be compatible.

Might have overlooked an answer above, but it sounds like my Panasonic soundbar which proudly promoted Bluetooth, which turned out to be a wireless connection to the big sub woofer speaker. :rolleyes:

RonL said:
Might have overlooked an answer above, but it sounds like my Panasonic soundbar which proudly promoted Bluetooth, which turned out to be a wireless connection to the big sub woofer speaker. :rolleyes:
Yes. It does that.

I wonder if it's the product itself that is misrepresentative here.

DaveC426913 said:
After much bulging blood vesseldom, I have determined that it's the TV that does not support Wireless bluetooth connection.

In my experience, if you are buying at least somewhat expensive stuff, you can persuade them to let you test it in the shop.
I was able to test my TV (not the brand, the exact item I was going to buy) for bad pixels, connectivity to my laptop, sound, picture quality and such before I actually paid for it.

DaveC426913 said:

It should be pretty simple to get an audio to bluetooth transmitter from your tv. Could be another $10 possibly..

DaveC426913 said:
I just dropped $1700 on a 4K TV and "wireless" Sound Bar from LG.

The setup instructions of the sound bar (6 pictures in a manual 2 pages long), show how to connect them with
- optical cable
- HDMI
Those are the options.

How is this a wireless sound bar if it requires cables??

Not that it matters; it doesn't work no matter which way I slice it.

What kind of sound bars did you buy?? tell me it will helps me a lot.

I'm old school, I hooked up the TV sound as well as the devices that send video to the TV to my stereo. I'm wondering how common it is for people to have stereos or home theater setups that they can connect along with the TV.

Best Buy has a fairly high turnover rate, and a fairly low percentage of the sales people know that much about the products they sell, and the products themselves change from season to season, adding to the confusion. Just watch out for accessories like cables, Best Buy tends to have a large markup on them.

- - -

About LG 4K TV audio - I bought a 4K OLED TV, the next to lowest model. At least in the case of LG OLED TV's, there's a potential issue with audio delay. DVRs and 4K blu-ray players already delay audio so that it is synced up with the video signal and typical video processing time. The LG TVs add an additional delay. You can go into the settings, and select a setting that let's you adjust the delay, and although the "delay" range is like from -4 to +10, this is an adjustment to the default delay, not the actual delay, so 0 translates into the default delay and -4 is still too much additional delay. I had to choose a third option which disables the audio delay completely. Using Dolby Atmos may also affect the audio delay, but I don't use it, since I'm sending sound from the DVR or 4K player to the stereo in parallel with the video being sent to the TV. If I'm using the stereo, I set the TV audio volume to 0.

- - -

About LG streaming services (NetFlix, YouTube, ...) - apparently the network cards used in LG TVs go out frequently enough that it is a known issue. Using the default fast.com benchmark, when the network card on our LG TV went out, the speed dropped from 25 Mbps to 0.8 Mbps. I checked this after noticing the streaming services stop streaming and had long delays and/or dropped to a low resolution format. I had the card replaced under an extended warranty, as LG's warranty people had me call 3 different service shops, none of which could replace the network card.

My impression is that the 4K blu-ray player's streaming services are better quality than what I get from the LG TV.

Last edited:
[ignoring likely spam setup in previous post...]
rcgldr said:
I'm old school, I hooked up the TV sound as well as the devices that send video to the TV to my stereo. I'm wondering how common it is for people to have stereos or home theater setups that they can connect along with the TV.
I've never had a rack stereo system, only the mini system I had in college. Since then I've done a "home theater in a box" setup. The downside is if you want to upgrade you're pretty much replacing the entire thing. Upside is they've gotten cheap.
I bought a 4K OLED TV, the next to lowest model.
I think that needs to be my next jump. I'm on my third LCD/LED and the improvements have been only incremental. My next TV needs a high dynamic range - that's the final frontier IMO.

rcgldr said:
russ_watters said:
I've never had a rack stereo system, only the mini system I had in college. Since then I've done a "home theater in a box" setup. The downside is if you want to upgrade you're pretty much replacing the entire thing. Upside is they've gotten cheap.
My stuff is truly "old school". Other than the receiver I bought a few years back, the power amp and speakers are 20 years old, which replaced the 30 year old stereo setup I now have in the "computer room". That receiver has a dial tuner. The speakers are heavy and bulky, but sound much better than the home theater systems you can get these days.

rcgldr said:
I bought a 4K OLED TV

russ_watters said:
I think that needs to be my next jump. I'm on my third LCD/LED and the improvements have been only incremental. My next TV needs a high dynamic range.
I went from a 2005 Mitsubishi rear projection CRT HDTV (three 9 inch "monitors", red, green , blue) to a 2017 LG 4K OLED TV. The 2K LCD TVs never had much of dynamic range (color palette) compared to the old CRT base projection TV's and it wasn't until the OLEDs came out that the 4K LCDs improved their dynamic range to stay competitive. They're still limited by being a shared back lit technology. Once I saw the OLED had resolved the dynamic range issue, I waited for the prices to come down before I bought one.

Likes russ_watters
DaveC426913 said:

The TV does not have bluetooth capability.
You shouldn't have to, but you can supply that deficiency with a
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1JM5S9/?tag=pfamazon01-20 (this one sells for $36.99 at Amazon):

51xHtmdnNQL._SX466_.jpg

Perhaps you could try explaining the situation to the store manager, maybe with a hint at returning the TV (it's a discontinued model -- I imagine he wouldn't be too eager at that prospect), and see how much he might be willing to discount a Bluetooth transmitter.

Attachments

• 51xHtmdnNQL._SX466_.jpg
    51xHtmdnNQL._SX466_.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 458
Last edited: