Levi Civita symbol on Curl of Vector cross product

In summary, the conversation was about using the LC symbol to calculate the curl of a given vector function involving spherical coordinates. The attempt to solve the problem using the product rule was discussed, but the result did not seem correct. It was then suggested to use the spherical coordinate system and the definition of the cross product to arrive at the correct solution. There was also a discussion about the possibility of using both spherical coordinates and the LC symbol, but it was ultimately decided to stick with the suggested method.
Nikitin

Homework Statement

Use the LC symbol to calculate the following: $$\nabla \times \frac{\vec{m} \times \hat{r}}{r^2}$$

Where ##\vec{m}## is just a vector, and ##\hat{r}## is the unit radial vector and ##r## is the length of the radial vector.

Homework Equations

On the Levi Civita symbol: http://folk.uio.no/patricg/teaching/a112/levi-civita/

The Attempt at a Solution

I've gotten to ##\epsilon_{kij} \epsilon_{klm} m_l \frac{r^2 \partial_j r_m - r_m \partial_j r^2}{r^4}##, but I don't know how to take the derivatives..

Physics news on Phys.org
Nikitin said:
I've gotten to ##\epsilon_{kij} \epsilon_{klm} m_l \frac{r^2 \partial_j r_m - r_m \partial_j r^2}{r^4}##, but I don't know how to take the derivatives..
That result doesn't look right to me. How did you get it? Note that if ##\hat r=\frac{\vec r}{r}##, then
$$\frac{\hat r}{r^2}=\frac{\vec r}{r^3}=\bigg(\frac{r_i}{(r_jr_j)^{\frac 3 2}}\bigg) \hat e_i.$$

On the link you provided, there is a proof for ## A\times B \times C=B(A \cdot C) - C(A \cdot B) ## using the LC method.
If ##\vec{m}## is just a vector, does that mean constant, i.e. derivatives equal zero?
That should leave you with something like ## \vec{m} ( \nabla \cdot \frac{\hat{r}}{r^2}) ##
You could also look at ## \frac{\hat{r}}{r^2}=\frac{1}{x^2+y^2+z^2}\hat{r}## so taking the partial derivatives should not be too much of a challenge.

Ruber, yes but here you have a curl along with a function (##r^2##) involved.

But shouldn't it be much easier to perform the derivation in spherical coordinates? This is what's creating the struggle.

Fredrik said:
That result doesn't look right to me. How did you get it? Note that if ##\hat r=\frac{\vec r}{r}##, then
$$\frac{\hat r}{r^2}=\frac{\vec r}{r^3}=\bigg(\frac{r_i}{(r_jr_j)^{\frac 3 2}}\bigg) \hat e_i.$$
I just wrote up the definition, ordered the resulting equation and used the product rule to get started with the derivations. Note, my ##r_m##'s are actually the ##m##th coordinate of ##\hat{r}##, of not ##\vec{r}##.

So basically I started with this: $$\epsilon_{ijk} \partial_j \epsilon_{klm} m_l \frac{r_m}{r^2}$$, and used the product rule after ordering to arrive to the equation in the OP.

Nikitin said:
Note, my ##r_m##'s are actually the ##m##th coordinate of ##\hat{r}##, of not ##\vec{r}##.
But the derivatives are with respect to the mth coordinate of ##\vec r##, so with your definition of ##r_m##, you don't have ##\partial_i x_j=\delta_{ij}##. Instead you have to do something like this (where ##x_m## is the mth component of ##\vec r=r\hat r##):
$$\partial_i r_j =\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} r_j =\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}\frac{x_j}{\sqrt{x_kx_k}}.$$

But since ##\hat{r}## is just a one-component vector, shouldn't it be extremely straightforward to use spherical-coordinates ##\partial_i## on it? Why do you change to xyz coordinates?

It doesn't seem so straightforward to me. In spherical coordinates, ##\vec{r}## depends on all three coordinates in a relatively complicated way whereas in cartesian coordinates you have simply ##\partial_i x_j = \delta_{ij}##.

Likes Nikitin
I never changed coordinates. I just used the definitions. The cross product is defined by ##x\times y=(x\times y)_i e_i=(\varepsilon_{ijk}x_jy_k) e_i##, where the ##e_i## are the standard basis vectors, not the basis vectors associated with the spherical coordinate system. ##\nabla\times f(x)## is defined similarly, as ##\big(\varepsilon_{ijk}\frac{\partial}{\partial x_j}f_k(x)\big) e_i##.

In this problem, we have
$$f(x)=m\times\frac{\hat r}{r^2}=m\times\frac{\vec r}{r^3},$$ and therefore
$$f_k(x)=\varepsilon_{kln}m_l\frac{x_n}{r^3}=\varepsilon_{kln}m_l\frac{x_n}{(x_px_p)^{\frac 3 2}}.$$ I don't know if there's a way to use both spherical coordinates and the Levi-Civita symbol. (Note that the problem requires you to use the latter). If you know such a way, you can certainly try it.

Likes Nikitin
OK fine I'll just do it as you said. Thanks.

Related to Levi Civita symbol on Curl of Vector cross product

What is the Levi Civita symbol?

The Levi Civita symbol, also known as the permutation symbol, is a mathematical symbol used to represent the sign of a permutation. It is denoted as ε and is commonly used in vector calculus and tensor analysis.

What is the Curl of Vector cross product?

The Curl of Vector cross product is a mathematical operation that calculates the vector field resulting from the cross product of two vector fields. It is denoted as ∇× and is used to describe the rotation or circulation of a vector field.

How is the Levi Civita symbol used in the Curl of Vector cross product?

The Levi Civita symbol is used in the Curl of Vector cross product to determine the direction of rotation of the resulting vector field. It is used to calculate the magnitude of the cross product and is an essential part of the formula for the Curl operation.

What is the significance of the Levi Civita symbol in vector calculus?

The Levi Civita symbol is significant in vector calculus as it helps to simplify and solve complex mathematical equations involving vector fields. It is also used to represent the components of a vector field in different coordinate systems and is essential in the study of electromagnetism and fluid mechanics.

How is the Curl of Vector cross product relevant in real-world applications?

The Curl of Vector cross product is relevant in many real-world applications, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and aerodynamics. It is used to describe the rotation and circulation of fluids, the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire, and the lift and drag forces acting on an object moving through a fluid. It is an essential tool in understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems.