Level of Advance Calculus by Woods

• Calculus
  • Thread starter MidgetDwarf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation is about the purchase of Advance Calculus by Woods and the interest in unorthodox techniques used by Feynman that were learned from the book. The individual is a math major and plans to use the book after completing Calculus 3 and ODE's. They also mention owning other math books and their plan to prepare for Analysis when entering university. There is a question about the level and requirements of Advance Calculus by Woods, as well as a request for a book on epsilon-delta. The conversation also discusses owning other math books and preparing for a course on analysis.
MidgetDwarf
I recently purchased Advance Calculus by Woods. Reading, "Surely you're Joking Mr. Feynman,' interested me about the unorthodox techniques Feynman learned by reading Woods.

I'm a math major and my mathematics is pretty limited at this point. By the end of fall semester I should have learned Calculus 3 (MultiVariable) and ODE's. I do have Linear Algebra under my belt and find books like Friedberg, Keisler, Axler, and Lang readable.

I won't necessarily use Woods until after May or June of next year. I purchased it because I saw prices heading in the 200 hundred range and found it for a steal at 70 dollars shipped.

After my fall semester I plan to work through either Apostle or Spivak ( own both) and How To Prove It. If time permits I was thinking about going over some Polya books my teacher gave me, during the fall semester. This is in preparation for Analysis when I enter into the University. My education has been lacking but I have been able to learn a few things on my own out of self interest. I like to learn and am willing to work for it.

What level is Advance Calculus by Woods pitched at? What are the requirements? Did I waste $70 dollars or is the books reputation well earned.

Does anyone know of a book that explains epsilon-delta? My understanding of epsilon-delta is superficial one section in Stewart Calculus.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it can't possible cover all the topics in the table of contents very deeply:

Power series. Partial differentiation. Implicit functions. Applications to geometry. The definite integral. The gamma and beta functions. Line, surface, and space integrals. Vector notation. Differential equations of the first order. Differential equations of higher order. Bessel functions. Partial differential equations. Calculus of variations. Functions of a complex variable. Elliptic integrals.

There are many epsilon-delta books. One of the cheapest is Friedman: Advanced Calculus.

Likes MidgetDwarf
Thank you Verty.

I also own copy of Spivak Calculus 3rd ed and Apostol 1st ed. Which one would you say would be better, in order to prepare, for a course of alaysis i.e. Baby Rudin?

What supplementary material would you say Spivak and Apostol require?

I wouldn't say which one is better. You have them, pick one.

Related to Level of Advance Calculus by Woods

1. What is the difficulty level of the "Level of Advance Calculus by Woods"?

The difficulty level of "Level of Advance Calculus by Woods" can vary depending on the individual's background and mathematical proficiency. However, in general, this textbook is considered to be at an advanced level and is typically used for upper-level undergraduate or graduate courses.

2. Is this textbook suitable for self-study or is it better for classroom use?

This textbook can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. However, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in calculus and mathematical reasoning before attempting to study this text on your own.

3. Are there any prerequisite courses that should be taken before studying "Level of Advance Calculus by Woods"?

Yes, it is recommended to have a thorough understanding of single and multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and basic analysis before delving into this textbook. It is also helpful to have some exposure to proofs and mathematical reasoning.

4. Is this textbook suitable for students in other fields of study outside of mathematics?

This textbook is primarily designed for students majoring in mathematics or related fields. However, students in other fields such as physics, engineering, or economics may also find it useful for gaining a deeper understanding of calculus concepts.

5. What makes "Level of Advance Calculus by Woods" stand out compared to other calculus textbooks?

This textbook is known for its rigorous and comprehensive approach to advanced calculus topics. It covers a wide range of topics including vector calculus, differential forms, and multivariable integration, making it a valuable resource for students seeking a deeper understanding of calculus concepts.