Letting nuisance recorded calls play out

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, a friend suggests a campaign to let nuisance recorded phone calls play out in their entirety, even to the point of hearing the recording indicating the phone is off the hook. This could potentially increase expenses for the callers, decrease the number of calls they can make, and increase phone service costs for all customers. However, it may not be effective as technology today allows for quick disconnection. Some people have found ways to tie up the lines of the caller by staying on the line, but this may be a waste of time. There are also websites dedicated to playing with scammers and stories of successful scams.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
A friend of mine thinks there should be a campaign urging people to let nuisance recorded phone calls play out in their entirety -even to the point where the caller has hung-up and you hear the recording from the phone company indicating your phone is off the hook. What would be the effects if if people often did that?

Would it increase the expenses of the nuisance callers? - decrease the number of calls their machines can make? - increase the cost of phone service for all customers?

Physics news on Phys.org
What would be the point of not hanging up once the caller has hung up? They are no longer paying for the call. If the call is to your cell phone or if your land line has metered service, you could be charging yourself.

Likes symbolipoint
Evo said:
What would be the point of not hanging up once the caller has hung up?

I think you would have to actually listen to the call if you did that. My friends idea is that you just put the phone down and go about you business until you get the call from the phone company - followed by the alarm from the phone company - at least from my phone company in the USA.

There can be a lot of extra time between when a recording stops and the call terminates, just because the recording stops doesn't mean that they cut off the call. In some cases, due to glitches, the signal that a call has terminated may take hours or even days (Yes, I used to work for the phone company Ma Bell) But even when it works correctly it can take up to several minutes because it needs to see a disconnect from both ends, if not, it waits a bit. Been ages since I worked with that so I have forgotten the terminology.

Likes symbolipoint
When I'm working a medical shift, I need to answer all incoming calls even if I don't recognize the calling phone number. That is because my cell phone number is posted publicly, in case folks have a medical emergency when I am patrolling away from my post. If I get a call that is not an emergency related medical call, there is no way I'm letting it drone on and tie up my phone.

Likes symbolipoint
I have always thought that the way to tie up the most resources would be to let the recorded message play and get a person on the line. Then sound interested and engage them for a long time before finally rejecting the offered product or service. I do not have the time or patience to try this myself, however, so you'll have to tell me how it goes.

Likes davenn
Evo said:
There can be a lot of extra time between when a recording stops and the call terminates, just because the recording stops doesn't mean that they cut off the call.

Does this tie-up the lines of both the caller and person who was called?
berkeman said:
If I get a call that is not an emergency related medical call, there is no way I'm letting it drone on and tie up my phone.

Naturally. My friends idea is that you only let a call drone-on when it's convenient for you.

marcusl said:
I have always thought that the way to tie up the most resources would be to let the recorded message play and get a person on the line. Then sound interested and engage them for a long time before finally rejecting the offered product or service. I do not have the time or patience to try this myself, however, so you'll have to tell me how it goes.
The recorded call might not give an option for you to reach a live person to whom you could engage, and if you press a button for whatever purpose, do you know if this would confirm that your number is worth another call attempt from they or others to call your number for more scammy tries?

If you have a machine to take a recorded message and which allows you to hear and screen the call, you could just let the machine take the call, and that can usually be the end for that particular call event - but maybe not others.

Stephen Tashi said:
A friend of mine thinks there should be a campaign urging people to let nuisance recorded phone calls play out in their entirety -even to the point where the caller has hung-up and you hear the recording from the phone company indicating your phone is off the hook. What would be the effects if if people often did that?

Would it increase the expenses of the nuisance callers? - decrease the number of calls their machines can make? - increase the cost of phone service for all customers?
Once the phone gives you a dial tone or busy signal, they are gone so you're just wasting your time at that point. Today's technology is such that I doubt you can impact them in this way.
However, this reminds me of a company that was calling me in the early 90's. I discovered that their dialer would hang up, wait a few seconds and try to get a dial tone to make their next call. Unfortunately for them, those few seconds weren't long enough if I stayed on the line. I remember leaving my phone like that for hours while their dumb computer kept trying to get a dial tone. :oldtongue:

Stephen Tashi said:
Does this tie-up the lines of both the caller and person who was called?
Yes.

Greg Bernhardt said:
There is a website devoted to playing with the scammers. Some great stories there.
http://www.419eater.com/
haha brilliant !

Related to Letting nuisance recorded calls play out

What is the purpose of letting nuisance recorded calls play out?

The purpose of letting nuisance recorded calls play out is to gather information about the caller and the company they represent. This can be used to report the call to the appropriate authorities and potentially block future calls from the same number.

Will letting the call play out put me at risk for scams or fraud?

No, as long as you do not provide any personal or financial information to the caller, letting the call play out should not put you at risk for scams or fraud. It is important to never give out personal information to unknown callers.

What should I do if the recorded call is from a legitimate company?

If the recorded call is from a legitimate company, you can choose to stay on the line and speak with a representative to request that your number be removed from their call list. You can also report the call to the National Do Not Call Registry to prevent future calls.

Is it legal to let nuisance recorded calls play out?

Yes, it is legal to let nuisance recorded calls play out. However, if you are on the National Do Not Call Registry and continue to receive calls from a company, you can report them for violating the registry.

Are there any disadvantages to letting nuisance recorded calls play out?

One potential disadvantage is that it may be time-consuming to listen to the entire recording. Additionally, if you choose to speak with a representative, they may try to convince you to stay on their call list or provide personal information. It is important to be cautious and not disclose any personal information.