Letters of Recommendation & Summer REU

In summary, the student is a second-year physics undergrad who is looking into REU programs for next summer. They have one professor who they have developed a strong rapport with and is currently doing research with, and another professor who has taught multiple courses but they do not have a personal relationship with. The student is wondering if a letter of recommendation from the latter professor will be beneficial for their REU applications. However, it is suggested that having one strong research-based recommendation and others based on grades and general academic performance will be sufficient at this stage in their career.
Agent M27
I am in my second year as a physics undergrad and I am starting to do some research on REU programs for next summer. I am currently doing research (for zero credits) with my calc professor who I believe will write me a strong LOR, I also received an high A in her calc class. My problem is, she is the only professor with whom I have developed any sort of rapport, my other professors only know me from my grades. I do have one professor, that has taught three of my astro courses so far and will be taking a fourth during the fall, but we aren't on a first name basis. My question is will a LOR which comes from a professor that has no personal relationship with me but they know of my grades, be of any benefit? I definitely plan on cultivating that relationship further this fall which isn't the worst thing in the world since deadlines for REU aren't until spring of next year. I feel like I am being a bit to cautious but I want to get my app in as soon as possible. By the way I want to do either an astronomy or physics REU. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not from the US and thus not really knowledgeable about the REU, but it seems to me that a reference from someone that has taught you three courses will be good enough. It sounds like your first letter will be strong and based upon research and then your second letter will be strong based upon grades.

I think of it this way: you've only been at university for two years and have already got a strong, research based referee. That's got to be more than most people have at your stage.

It's not often that students have more than one professor they know very well at this point in their career, so having one professor who can write about your research experience is good, and the rest of your letters will be fine from professors even if they can't say much more than 'this student did well in my class, asked good questions, put in a lot of effort, seems interested in the material, etc'.

Related to Letters of Recommendation & Summer REU

What is a Letters of Recommendation and why is it important for Summer REUs?

A Letters of Recommendation is a document written by someone who knows you well and can speak to your academic abilities, character, and potential. It is important for Summer REUs because it provides insight into your qualifications and potential as a researcher, which can greatly impact your chances of being accepted into the program.

Who should I ask to write a Letter of Recommendation for me?

You should ask someone who knows you well and can speak to your academic abilities, character, and potential as a researcher. This could be a professor, research mentor, supervisor, or other professional who can provide a strong recommendation for you.

How many Letters of Recommendation do I need for Summer REUs?

Most programs require 2-3 Letters of Recommendation. However, it is always best to check the specific requirements for each program you are applying to.

Can I use the same Letters of Recommendation for multiple Summer REU applications?

Yes, you can use the same Letters of Recommendation for multiple applications. However, it is always a good idea to personalize the letter for each specific program to highlight your fit and interest in that particular program.

When should I ask for Letters of Recommendation for Summer REU applications?

You should ask for Letters of Recommendation at least 4-6 weeks before the application deadline to give your letter writers enough time to write and submit the letters. It is also important to follow up with them to ensure they have submitted the letters on time.