Let S be the subset of group G that contains identity element 1?

In summary: Since the left cosets of a group are all closed under composition, it follows that hS is a left coset of G. But since G is itself closed under composition, it follows that hS is a closed coset of G.
Murtuza Tipu

Homework Statement

Let S be the subset of group G that contains identity element 1 such that left co sets aS with a in G, partition G .Probe that S is a subgroup of G.

Homework Equations

{hS : h belongs to G } is a partition of G.

The Attempt at a Solution

For h in S if I show that hS is S then that would imply that S is closed.
Now hS is a partition of S and contains h since 1 is in S and h is in S also.Hence h belongs to S intersection hS.
More over both these partition or two partition are disjoint or equal sets.
Hence h=hS which says that S is closed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Murtuza Tipu said:
For h in S if I show that hS is S then that would imply that S is closed.
Now hS is a partition of S and contains h since 1 is in S and h is in S also.Hence h belongs to S intersection hS.
More over both these partition or two partition are disjoint or equal sets.
Hence h=hS which says that S is closed.
It was difficult to follow your argument, but I think you got it right. This is assuming that you meant to write S=hS where you wrote h=hS in the last line.

My version:
We will prove that S is closed under multiplication. Let ##a,b\in S## be arbitrary. Since ##ab\in aS##, it will be sufficient to prove that ##aS=S##. Since ##e\in S##, we have ##a=ae\in aS##. By assumption, we also have ##a\in S=eS##. Since aS and eS are both cells of the partition, they are either equal or disjoint. So the fact that they both contain ##a## implies that ##aS=eS=S##.

The same I can show that it contains the inverses. WHy aren't they partitions of G?? As  ,h belongs to G , hS is a left coset. 

Related to Let S be the subset of group G that contains identity element 1?

1. What is a subset?

A subset is a set that contains elements from another set. In this case, the subset S contains elements from the group G.

2. What is the identity element?

The identity element, denoted by 1, is an element in a group that when multiplied with any other element in the group, results in that element. In other words, multiplying an element with the identity element does not change its value.

3. How is the subset S related to the group G?

The subset S is a subset of the group G, meaning that all the elements in S are also elements in G. However, not all elements in G will necessarily be in S.

4. Why is it important to specify that the subset contains the identity element?

Specifying that the subset S contains the identity element is important because it allows us to define a new subgroup within the larger group G. This can be useful in understanding the properties and structure of the group G.

5. Can a subset S contain more than just the identity element?

Yes, a subset S can contain more than just the identity element. In fact, in most cases, the subset S will contain multiple elements. However, it is important to note that the identity element must always be included in the subset S in order for it to be considered a subgroup of the group G.