Let G be a finite group in which every element has a square root

In summary: If G was infinite we couldn't use the pidgeonhole principle?Yes, because if G was infinite there would be an element y such that y is the square root of x1 and x2, x1=/=x2. That would be a contradiction because it would suggest y^2=/=y^2.
robertjordan

Homework Statement

Let G be a finite group in which every element has a square root. That is, for each x in G, there exists a y in G such that y^2=x. Prove every element in G has a unique square root.

Homework Equations

G being a group means it is a set with operation * satisfying:
1.) for all a,b,c in G, a*(b*c)=(a*b)*c
2.) there exists an e s.t. for all x in G, x*e=x
3.) for all x in G there exists an x' s.t. x'*x=e

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I have gotten so far is the reason why (-2)^2 and 2^2 both equaling 4 doesn't present a counterexample. The reason it doesn't is because (-2) has no square root so it is not in our group G.

... other than that I'm stuck..

Physics news on Phys.org
You are probably overthinking this. If you have two different elements of the group, x1 and x2 and y1 is a square root of x1 and y2 is a square root of x2, then y1 is not equal to y2, yes? So you have at least as many square roots in G as there are elements of G. What happens if an element has two square roots? Use that G is finite.

Last edited:
Dick said:
You are probably overthinking this. If you have two different elements of the group, x1 and x2 and y1 is a square root of x1 and y2 is a square root of x2, then y1 is not equal to y2, yes? So you have at least as many square roots in G as there are elements of G. What happens if an element has two square root? Use the G is finite.

Every element in G has a square root. If an element has 2 square roots then two elements in G have the same square root (by the pidgeonhole principle). That means there exists a y in G s.t. y^2=x1 and y^2=x2 where x1=/=x2. This is a contradiction because it would suggest y^2=/=y^2.

Is this right?

Thanks for your help

robertjordan said:
Every element in G has a square root. If an element has 2 square roots then two elements in G have the same square root (by the pidgeonhole principle). That means there exists a y in G s.t. y^2=x1 and y^2=x2 where x1=/=x2. This is a contradiction because it would suggest y^2=/=y^2.

Is this right?

Thanks for your help

You've got the idea, but I guess I would start with proving all of square roots are distinct elements of G first, instead of leaving it for a contradiction at the end. And why does G have to be finite?

Dick said:
You've got the idea, but I guess I would start with proving all of square roots are distinct elements of G first, instead of leaving it for a contradiction at the end.

I don't get what you mean by this. Do you mean prove there is no element y such that y is the square root of x1 and x2, x1=/=x2? Or do you mean prove that for any x, the "square root of x" is well-defined?

I don't see what's wrong about what I did? I assumed BWOC that there existed an element with 2 different square roots and I showed how that led to a contradiction... Doesn't that imply no element has 2 square roots? And thus every element has a unique square root?

Thanks

And why does G have to be finite?

If G was infinite we couldn't use the pidgeonhole principle?

I mean prove there is no element y such that y is the square root of x1 and x2, x1=/=x2. And yes, I know it's obvious. "If an element has 2 square roots then two elements in G have the same square root", that doesn't ring right. In the integers mod 3, 1^1=1 and 2^2=1. So the element 1 has two square roots. That doesn't mean two elements have the same square root. At least until you explain it better. And, yes, I know 2 doesn't have a square root.

I'm not saying it's wrong. Just explain what the pigeons are and what the holes are.

Last edited:
Dick said:
I mean prove there is no element y such that y is the square root of x1 and x2, x1=/=x2. And yes, I know it's obvious. "If an element has 2 square roots then two elements in G have the same square root", that doesn't ring right. In the integers mod 3, 1^1=1 and 2^2=1. So the element 1 has two square roots. That doesn't mean two elements have the same square root. At least until you explain it better. And, yes, I know 2 doesn't have a square root.

I'm not saying it's wrong. Just explain what the pigeons are and what the holes are.

I should have said: "If an element has 2 square roots then two elements in G share a square root."

The reason I feel that's true is because since G is finite, there are only |G| possible options for an element's square root. And there are also |G| elements each of which has a square root. So there are |G| pidgeons (being the elements of G), and |G| holes (the possible square roots). Therefore if one pidgeon has 2 square roots, then that leaves |G|-2 pidgeonholes for |G|-1 remaining pidgeons... and thus two elements must share a square root.

x1 and x2 sharing a square root means there is a y in G such that y^2=x1 and y^2=x2... but that's a contradiction?Is that right?

robertjordan said:
I should have said: "If an element has 2 square roots then two elements in G share a square root."

The reason I feel that's true is because since G is finite, there are only |G| possible options for an element's square root. And there are also |G| elements each of which has a square root. So there are |G| pidgeons (being the elements of G), and |G| holes (the possible square roots). Therefore if one pidgeon has 2 square roots, then that leaves |G|-2 pidgeonholes for |G|-1 remaining pidgeons... and thus two elements must share a square root.

x1 and x2 sharing a square root means there is a y in G such that y^2=x1 and y^2=x2... but that's a contradiction?

Is that right?

Yes, it sounds correct.

Related to Let G be a finite group in which every element has a square root

What is a finite group?

A finite group is a mathematical structure that consists of a finite set of elements and a binary operation that satisfies certain properties, such as closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility.

What does it mean for every element in G to have a square root?

This means that for every element a in G, there exists another element b in G such that b2 = a. In other words, every element in G can be expressed as the square of another element in G.

Does every finite group have this property?

No, not every finite group has this property. For example, the cyclic group of order 3 does not have this property since there is no element whose square is the identity element.

What is the significance of this property in group theory?

This property can be used to prove certain theorems and classify finite groups into different categories. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and geometry.

Can this property be extended to infinite groups?

Yes, this property can be extended to certain infinite groups, such as the real numbers under multiplication. However, not all infinite groups have this property.