Length of string on instrument to produce specific frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a two-string instrument and the placement of a fret to extend its range. The tension and mass of the strings are given and the equations for frequency and tension are used to solve for the fret placement. The correct answer is found to be 1.9 cm away from the upper end.
idkididk

Homework Statement

You are designing a two-string instrument with metal string 35.0 long, as shown in the figure . Both strings are under the same tension. String has a mass of 8.45 and produces the note middle C (frequency 262 ) in its fundamental mode.

To extend the range of your instrument, you include a fret located just under the strings, but not normally touching them. How far from the upper end should you put this fret so that when you press tightly against it, this string will produce C# (frequency 277 ) in its fundamental?

Homework Equations

f= (1/(2L)) * (F/u)^.5, where f is the frequency, L is length of the string, u is the mass per unit distance, and F is the tension force.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found that the tension of the string to be 812N. Using that, I solved for x: 277= (1/(2x)) *(812/(.00845/x))^.5

x= .313, which means 31.3 cm. It's asking how far form the upper end, so 35-31.3cm = 3.7cm.

However, this is not correct. Anyone know why?

Physics news on Phys.org
idkididk said:
So I found that the tension of the string to be 812N.
How did you solve for that? What units are the length and mass given in?

Edit: I see. Length in cm and mass in grams.

idkididk said:
So I found that the tension of the string to be 812N. Using that, I solved for x: 277= (1/(2x)) *(812/(.00845/x))^.5
8.45 is the mass of the full string, so don't divide by the new (smaller) length to find μ. (μ is a constant for the string material, regardless of length.)

^I just tried that, 277= (1/(2x)) *(812/(.00845/.35))^.5, and got x=33cm, so the answer would be 2, but that's not it either

EDIT: Ok nevermind the answer is 1.9 lol. Thanks!

Last edited:

I would first like to acknowledge that your attempt at solving the problem is a good start. However, there may be a few factors that could have led to your incorrect answer.

Firstly, it is important to consider the effect of the fret on the length of the string. When you press the string against the fret, it effectively shortens the length of the string. This means that the length of the string to be used in the equation should be the distance from the upper end to the fret, rather than the entire length of the string (35.0cm).

Secondly, it is important to ensure that all units are consistent in your calculations. In your attempt, you have used the mass per unit distance (u) in units of kg/m, while the tension force (F) is in units of N. This could lead to an incorrect solution. It is recommended to convert all units to SI units (m, kg, N) before solving the equation.

Lastly, it is important to consider any other factors that may affect the frequency of the string, such as the thickness and material of the string. These could also have an impact on the correct placement of the fret.

In conclusion, to accurately determine the placement of the fret, it is important to consider the effect of the fret on the length of the string, ensure consistent units, and take into account any other factors that may affect the frequency of the string. Further experimentation and testing may also be necessary to fine-tune the placement of the fret for optimal frequency production.

Related to Length of string on instrument to produce specific frequency

1. How does the length of a string on an instrument affect the produced frequency?

The length of a string on an instrument determines the wavelength of the sound produced, which in turn affects the frequency. The longer the string, the longer the wavelength and the lower the frequency. Conversely, a shorter string will have a higher frequency.

2. What is the relationship between string length and frequency on an instrument?

The relationship between string length and frequency on an instrument is inverse. This means that as the string length increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa.

3. Can the frequency of a string on an instrument be changed by adjusting its length?

Yes, the frequency of a string on an instrument can be changed by adjusting its length. By shortening or lengthening the string, the wavelength and frequency of the sound produced will also change.

4. How does the thickness of a string on an instrument affect its frequency?

The thickness of a string on an instrument does not have a direct effect on the frequency. However, thicker strings will produce a higher amplitude (louder sound) compared to thinner strings, which may give the perception of a higher frequency.

5. Is there a mathematical equation to determine the length of a string needed to produce a specific frequency on an instrument?

Yes, there is a mathematical equation known as the "string tension equation" that can be used to calculate the length of a string needed to produce a specific frequency on an instrument. It takes into account the tension, mass per unit length, and frequency of the string to determine the appropriate length.