Leibnitz Formulae for differentiation - Tricky question

In summary: How come f(x) equals the coefficient of y? In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for finding the nth derivative of a function, with an example using f(x)=4x^2+1. The conversation also questions why the equation stops at the 2nd derivative and how the binomial coefficient is used in finding the derivative. It is mentioned that the third and higher derivatives of the function are 0 and that there is no evidence to suggest that y is a polynomial.
thomas49th
Leibnitz.png

All I know about Leibnitz is

[tex]\frac{d^{n}}{dx^{n}}f(x) = \sum^{n}_{i=0} \left(\stackrel{n}{i}\right) g^{n-i}(x)h^{i}(x)[/tex]

and I don't understand what the answer sheet says:

Parts of it perhaps - I can see they take the 0th, 1st and 2nd derivative, but why not more? I mean why stop at 2? I know m>=2 for y^(m+2) to be +ve, but if m was 3 (which it could be) why do we not have the 3rd derivative in there aswell? Also using the combination for working out the binomal coefficients, taking the 1st derivative for example, how does [tex]\frac{(m-1)!}{(m-2)!1!} = m[/tex]? I get m-1.
Leibnitz_ms.png

Stumped.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
thomas49th said:
Leibnitz.png

All I know about Leibnitz is

[tex]\frac{d^{n}}{dx^{n}}f(x) = \sum^{n}_{i=0} \left(\stackrel{n}{i}\right) g^{n-i}(x)h^{i}(x)[/tex]
That doesn't even make sense- unless you say f(x)= g(x)h(x) first!

and I don't understand what the answer sheet says:

Parts of it perhaps - I can see they take the 0th, 1st and 2nd derivative, but why not more? I mean why stop at 2? I know m>=2 for y^(m+2) to be +ve, but if m was 3 (which it could be) why do we not have the 3rd derivative in there aswell? Also using the combination for working out the binomal coefficients, taking the 1st derivative for example, how does [tex]\frac{(m-1)!}{(m-2)!1!} = m[/tex]? I get m-1.
Here, [itex]f(x)= 4x^2+ 1[/itex] so that [itex]f'(x)= 8x[/itex], [itex]f''(x)= 8[/itex] and [itex]f'''(x)= 0[/itex]. It is the fact that the third derivative (and all higher) derivatives of f are 0 that is important, not derivatives of y. Indeed, there is no reason to think that y is a polynomial at all,

Leibnitz_ms.png

Stumped.

HallsofIvy said:
Here, [tex] f(x)= 4x^{2} + 1[/tex] so that , and . It is the fact that the third derivative (and all higher) derivatives of f are 0 that is important, not derivatives of y. Indeed, there is no reason to think that y is a polynomial at all,

How come f(x) equals the coefficient of y?

Related to Leibnitz Formulae for differentiation - Tricky question

1. What is Leibnitz Formula for differentiation?

The Leibnitz Formula for differentiation, also known as the Leibnitz Rule or the Product Rule, is a mathematical formula used to find the derivative of the product of two functions.

2. How do you use the Leibnitz Formula for differentiation?

The Leibnitz Formula for differentiation states that the derivative of the product of two functions is equal to the first function multiplied by the derivative of the second function, plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function.

3. Why is the Leibnitz Formula for differentiation considered a tricky question?

The Leibnitz Formula for differentiation can be considered tricky because it requires a good understanding of the derivative and the rules of differentiation, as well as the ability to apply the formula correctly in various scenarios.

4. What are some common mistakes when using the Leibnitz Formula for differentiation?

Some common mistakes when using the Leibnitz Formula for differentiation include forgetting to apply the derivative to one of the functions, mixing up the order of the functions in the formula, and not simplifying the final result.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Leibnitz Formula for differentiation?

The Leibnitz Formula for differentiation is used in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, economics, and biology. It can be used to find rates of change, optimize functions, and solve problems involving motion, growth, and decay.