Legendre Polynomials - how to find P0(u) and P2(u)?

In summary, substituting λ = l(l+1) and putting n=0 for P0(u) and n=2 for P2(u), didnt get very far.
rwooduk
Pl(u) is normalized such that Pl(1) = 1. Find P0(u) and P2(u)

note: l, 0 and 2 are subscript

recursion relation

an+2 = [n(n+1) - l (l+1) / (n+2)(n+1)] an

n is subscript

substituted λ = l(l+1) and put n=0 for P0(u) and n=2 for P2(u), didnt get very far

please could someone give me a point in the right direction or a youtube video to explain the process used to solve this? really lost.

thanks for any advice

Physics news on Phys.org
rwooduk said:
Pl(u) is normalized such that Pl(1) = 1. Find P0(u) and P2(u)

note: l, 0 and 2 are subscript

recursion relation

an+2 = [n(n+1) - l (l+1) / (n+2)(n+1)] an

n is subscript

substituted λ = l(l+1) and put n=0 for P0(u) and n=2 for P2(u), didnt get very far

please could someone give me a point in the right direction or a youtube video to explain the process used to solve this? really lost.

thanks for any advice

You wrote
[tex] a_n + 2 = \left[n(n+1) - \frac{l(l+1)}{(n+2)(n+2)} \right] a_n [/tex]
Is that what you really mean, or did you want
[tex] a_{n+2} = \left[ \frac{n(n+1) - l(l+1)}{(n+2)(n+1)}\right] a_n ?[/tex]
If so, please use parentheses properly.

Anyway, I don't see what this approach will get you, since you have the recursion for a fixed value of ##l##---that is, the recursion that tells you how to get ##P_l(x)## for fixed ##l##, given some initial conditions. There is nothing there that tells you how to relate ##P_{l-1}(x)## and ##P_{l+1}(x)## to ##P_l(x)##. Normalization comes from outside the differential equation and outside the recursion. Look up Legendre functions in a textbook or via Google.

Note added in edit: I see that you might have meant ##P_l##; the font you used made it look like ##P_1##. Anyway, you might find it useful to look at http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~fry/6346/legendre.pdf .

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
apologies, yes it's this:

Ray Vickson said:
[tex] a_{n+2} = \left[ \frac{n(n+1) - l(l+1)}{(n+2)(n+1)}\right] a_n[/tex]

i think the idea is to put l=0 for P0(u) and l=2 for P2(u)

but not really sure what to do after that.

will have a look at the link, thank-you.

Related to Legendre Polynomials - how to find P0(u) and P2(u)?

1. What are Legendre polynomials?

Legendre polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials that are used to solve differential equations and represent functions in mathematical analysis. They are named after the French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre who first studied them in the 18th century.

2. How do I find P0(u) and P2(u)?

To find P0(u) and P2(u), you can use the recurrence relation for Legendre polynomials: Pn+1(u) = ((2n+1)uPn(u) - nPn-1(u))/(n+1). Start with P0(u) = 1 and P1(u) = u, then use the recurrence relation to find P2(u) and continue until you reach the desired degree.

3. What is the significance of P0(u) and P2(u)?

P0(u) and P2(u) are the first two Legendre polynomials, and they have specific properties that make them useful in various mathematical applications. P0(u) is a constant function, while P2(u) is a quadratic function. They form the basis for all other Legendre polynomials.

4. Can Legendre polynomials be used to approximate any function?

Yes, Legendre polynomials form a complete set of orthogonal functions, which means that any square-integrable function can be approximated by a linear combination of Legendre polynomials. This makes them a powerful tool in mathematical analysis and engineering.

5. Are there any other methods for finding Legendre polynomials?

Yes, there are various methods for finding Legendre polynomials, including the Gram-Schmidt process, numerical methods, and using generating functions. However, the recurrence relation is the most commonly used method as it is straightforward and efficient.