Learning Pseudocode: A Crash Course for Beginners

In summary, pseudocode is provided for implementing the minimax algorithm. The code makes use of functions to determine if a node is a leaf, a min or max node, and to evaluate the node's value. The algorithm involves recursively calling the minimax function on the node's children and returning the min or max value depending on the type of node. To learn how to implement it, one can refer to the explanation on Wikipedia, although the code provided may need some adjustments.
shivajikobardan
Homework Statement
minimax algorithm artificial intelligence
Relevant Equations
algorithm given below
I found pseudocode for this problem below-:

Code:
def minimax(current node):
    if is_leaf(current_node):
        return static_evaluation(current_node)
    if is_min_node(current_node):
        return min(minimax(children_of(current_node)))
    if is_max_node(current_node):
        return max(minimax(children_of(current_node)))
How do I learn to do it? I have no idea. Learning these stuffs would be immensely useful. I have ok programming experience. Learnt about dsa and stuffs but I don't have any notes from that time and don't remember much stuffs. Know basic python. Know oop but like dsa forgot and don't have the notes...What to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
shivajikobardan said:
How do I learn to do it?

The explanation on Wikipedia is reasonable, with similar pseduocode (although that toggles a flag for alternating player whereas the code above has that information in the node).

pbuk said:
The explanation on Wikipedia is reasonable, with similar pseduocode (although that toggles a flag for alternating player whereas the code above has that information in the node).
any idea how to implement it?

shivajikobardan said:
any idea how to implement it?
Follow the explanation accompanying the code. I suggest you use the Wikipedia page I linked, the code you posted (which appears to be Python not pseudocode) is rubbish: the first line says that the function minimax has a single node as its only argument but on lines 5 and 6 it is called with what must be a list of nodes.

Related to Learning Pseudocode: A Crash Course for Beginners

1. What is pseudocode?

Pseudocode is a simplified programming language that uses plain English and basic programming concepts to outline the logic of a program without getting bogged down in specific syntax or language rules. It is often used as a planning tool before writing actual code in a specific programming language.

2. Why is learning pseudocode important for beginners?

Learning pseudocode can help beginners develop a strong foundation in programming logic and problem-solving skills. It allows them to focus on the logic of a program without getting caught up in the details of a specific programming language, making it easier to transition to learning actual code later on.

3. How do I write pseudocode?

Pseudocode is written in plain English and follows basic programming concepts such as using keywords like "if", "else", and "while" to outline the logic of a program. It is important to use clear and concise language and to focus on the logic rather than specific syntax or language rules.

4. Can I use pseudocode in place of actual code?

No, pseudocode is not meant to be a substitute for actual code. It is a planning tool and should be used to outline the logic of a program before writing actual code in a specific programming language.

5. Are there any resources available to help me learn pseudocode?

Yes, there are many online tutorials, books, and courses available to help beginners learn pseudocode. It is also helpful to practice writing pseudocode for different programming problems to improve your skills and understanding.