Learning Physics for IB - Tips & Tricks for Self-Study

In summary, the author suggests two books for someone who wants to learn physics: 'Physics 4th ed' by Walker, Resnick, and Krane and 'Physics for Students of Science and Engineering by Resnick and Halliday'.
kumkwat
Hi, I'm a junior in high school and I will be taking IB physics next year, thing is I took physics 1 first semester of 10th grade and it feels like a long long time ago. To make it even worse I slept through that class (it was the wrong time of day for me:)) and I could honestly say even during the course that I didn't learn anything. I'm not sure if this is an indication of my interest in physics or the extremely boring but nice teacher. The tests gave us the formulas and using the 'plug and chug' method I did fine. Although I say didn't learn anything I'm sure somethings are still there. I did well in the class (I got the highest grade on the final) so I'm not worried about doing well next year, but more about LEARNING. I have the same teacher next year as last year so it might be memorizing when to use formulas again but I heard he's much better teaching his seniors, but that depends on what kind of people sign up.
I took calculus this year and I love math. I never got a chance to really connect to physics yet. I want to get a very solid physics background and to see the intuitiveness of physics. I'm sure some of that would have came if I just stayed awake in my physics 1 class, but are there any suggestions as to how I should approach teaching myself physics.
My general goals are to cover physics 1 before june ends as I chose to do a major research paper for IB on a topic in physics and to cover as much as possible over the summer, but I don't care how I do it, if a textbook is suggested I would like one that's cheap used and I want to learn calc-based physics (IB physics isn't actually calc based and I'm taking the HL). I also would also love a suggestion for a book that would show how awesome physics is in a from the building blocks and expand from that kind of way.

Sorry for rambling and thank you for the help :D

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say a perfect book for you is Classical Mechanics - Taylor although I don't know if you will like the price. I used it in 10th grade in preparation to teach myself GR and it was extremely invaluable.

WannabeNewton said:
I would say a perfect book for you is Classical Mechanics - Taylor although I don't know if you will like the price. I used it in 10th grade in preparation to teach myself GR and it was extremely invaluable.

First sentence of the preface:

"This book is intended for students of the physical sciences, especially physics, who have already studied some mechanics as part of an introductor physics course ("freshman physics" at a typical American university) and are now ready for a deeper look at the subject."

To OP: You can pick up 'Physics 4th ed' by Walker, Resnick, and Krane for under $10 off Amazon.

I found these two books (first volume is mechanics, second is E&M) much more helpful than my text for freshman physics.

After looking around my dad's book shelf I found a book called Physics for Students of Science and Engineering by Resnick and Halliday. Would this text be good its by the same author as one of the books suggested by you guys and it'd be free. I'm just going to try and go through it but I'd love to hear what you guys think of the book. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll get one if this book doesn't work out.

I am happy to hear that you are interested in learning physics and want to have a solid understanding of the subject. It is important to have a strong foundation in physics, especially for those interested in pursuing a career in science and engineering.

Firstly, I would recommend that you review the material from your previous physics class, even if you feel like you didn't learn much. This will help you refresh your memory and give you a better understanding of the basics before moving on to more advanced topics.

In terms of self-study, I would suggest starting with a good textbook that covers the material you will be learning in your IB physics class. Some popular options are "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Giancoli or "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker. You can also look for used textbooks online or at your local bookstore to save money.

In addition to the textbook, I would also recommend using online resources such as Khan Academy or Physics Classroom to supplement your learning. These websites offer free tutorials, practice problems, and videos that can help you understand the concepts in a more interactive way.

It is also important to practice solving problems on your own. This will help you develop a better understanding of the concepts and improve your problem-solving skills. You can find practice problems in your textbook or online, and you can also ask your teacher for additional resources.

Lastly, I would suggest finding a study group or a tutor to help you with any questions or difficulties you may have. Physics can be a challenging subject, but having someone to discuss and explain the material with can be extremely helpful.

In terms of finding a book that showcases the awesomeness of physics, I would recommend "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene or "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking. These books explore the fundamental concepts of physics in a more engaging and approachable way.

I wish you all the best in your self-study and your IB physics class. Remember to stay curious and keep exploring the wonders of physics. Good luck!

Related to Learning Physics for IB - Tips & Tricks for Self-Study

1. What is the best way to approach studying physics for the IB?

The best way to approach studying physics for the IB is to first familiarize yourself with the syllabus and understand the concepts that will be covered. Make sure to have a strong foundation in math and take the time to review any previous physics knowledge. It is also helpful to create a study schedule and break down the material into manageable chunks.

2. How can I improve my understanding of complex physics concepts?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of complex physics concepts is to practice solving problems. This will help you apply the concepts and identify any areas of weakness. You can also try explaining the concepts to someone else or seeking help from a teacher or tutor.

3. What are some effective study strategies for physics?

Some effective study strategies for physics include taking notes while reading or watching lectures, creating flashcards for key concepts and equations, and practicing problems regularly. It can also be helpful to form study groups with classmates to discuss and review material.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying physics?

Staying motivated while studying physics can be challenging, but setting clear goals and rewarding yourself for reaching them can help. You can also try changing up your study environment or taking breaks to avoid burnout. Remember to also remind yourself of your long-term goals and the importance of understanding physics.

5. What are some additional resources to supplement self-study for IB physics?

In addition to textbooks and class materials, there are many online resources available to supplement self-study for IB physics. These include videos and tutorials on websites such as Khan Academy and Crash Course, as well as practice questions and past papers from the IB website. You can also consider joining online forums or discussion groups to connect with other students studying for the IB physics exam.