Learning Math through Independent study

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding online resources for learning and testing without relying on expensive courses. The importance of having a real human instructor to help with misconceptions and deepen understanding is also mentioned. Several websites are suggested, including Khan Academy and a blog that recommends free books and lecture notes. The conversation concludes with a comment on the efficiency of self-learning compared to having an in-person instructor.
Fendaril
Is it possible? Most of the resources I find are geared toward college class situations. I do not want to learn how to learn with a lecturer. Is there anything online free that can teach and quiz without acting as a supplement for an expensive course or school setting?

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course it is possible.

What you miss out on, is the opportunity to unlearn your own misconceptions, that a real human being can detect in a conversation with you.

And, believe me, such misconceptions are easily formed, and can become deeply entrenched, however talented you are to begin with.

I do not considered myself 'talented' but thanks for your 2 cents. Do you know any resources tho, not geared toward a classroom? I do have physics forums :p

You might try this site:
http://www.khanacademy.org/
It has a large number of online lessons, with videos. It even has the options of online coaches if you need them.

Check out http://hbpms.blogspot.com/
That site gives a lot of recommendations for books and online lecture notes. Lots of which are free available online or can be (illegaly) downloaded (:

I think it is not efficient enough to learn by oneself. A good instructor can help deepen your understanding in certain subjects-- especially the abstract ones. Also it's important that you can discuss your questions with someone face to face.

Related to Learning Math through Independent study

What are the benefits of learning math through independent study?

Learning math through independent study allows individuals to work at their own pace and focus on areas that they struggle with. It also promotes self-discipline and critical thinking skills.

What resources are available for learning math through independent study?

There are many resources available for learning math through independent study, such as textbooks, online courses, instructional videos, and practice problems. Additionally, many schools and libraries offer access to math software and programs.

How can I stay motivated while learning math through independent study?

It's important to set goals and track your progress while learning math through independent study. Reward yourself for reaching milestones and seek support from peers or a tutor if you feel stuck or discouraged.

What are some tips for effectively learning math through independent study?

Some tips for effectively learning math through independent study include creating a study schedule, breaking down complex concepts into smaller parts, and seeking help if you get stuck. It's also important to review and practice regularly to reinforce your understanding.

Is learning math through independent study suitable for everyone?

While independent study can be beneficial for many individuals, it may not be suitable for everyone. Some people may struggle with self-motivation or need more structured instruction. It's important to assess your own learning style and needs before embarking on independent study for math.