Learning Disability and Grad School

In summary, a student reached out for guidance as they are facing a dilemma regarding their future and education due to their autism spectrum disorder. Despite their struggles with communication, they are excelling in their studies and have plans to attend grad school. However, they are concerned about how their disability may hinder their chances. They have been advised to speak with trusted faculty or disability coordinators for guidance. Another student with autism shared their success in pursuing a doctorate degree and offered to speak privately for further advice.
allazar
Hello fellow good people.

I feel like i am suffering from a delima in my life and for my future, so i am reaching out for any guidence.

I'm currently a junior at the University of Texas at austin studying my BS in physics. I transferred recently, and it is going stellar for me to my surprise. My current goal as of now is to go to grad school to continue my education and hopefully more opportunities for the future. I will be seeing a professor soon and hopefully get involved in research.

But their is a slight problem. I'm afraid my learning and social disability will hinder any chances for me to be inept for such program. I have been diagnosed with PDD-nos, which is on the autism spectrum, at the age of 5 and i have been struggling with a lot throughout my life. I have trouble communicating ideas and concepts with others. I can type papers wonderfully and do the math like no other, but describing it, I am no more than inadequate. This worries me as well when i will be tested soon on my oral skills for the GRE and senior thesis. I believe i am well in social conversation, but when expressing ideas, its bothersome and confuses others more in the process

My question is, would my disability of communication with others hinder any chances for me to go into higher education? Who would be more knowledgeable when asking questions like this? Grad advisors? Disability coordinaters?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm diagnosed with autism as well. It has slowed me down considerably at times, but I have been reasonably successful in mathematics so far. (As an undergraduate, physics was "too much at once" for me, also lacking the kind of rigor and structure that I enjoy in math.) At the moment I'm completing my doctorate, so I believe you could very well go that way too. My advice would be to discuss your concerns with whomever of the faculty or staff you trust most. Graduate advisers or disability coordinators may indeed quality. If you would like to discuss more with someone from the forum, you may contact me in private, but don't feel obliged. Good luck!

Related to Learning Disability and Grad School

1. What is a learning disability?

A learning disability is a neurological disorder that affects an individual's ability to acquire, retain, and use information. It can impact a person's ability to read, write, understand, and solve mathematical problems, as well as their attention, memory, and organization skills.

2. Are individuals with learning disabilities able to attend and succeed in graduate school?

Yes, individuals with learning disabilities can attend and succeed in graduate school. With accommodations and support services, they can overcome challenges and excel in their academic pursuits. Many successful professionals, including scientists, have learning disabilities.

3. What kind of accommodations are available for students with learning disabilities in graduate school?

The types of accommodations available for students with learning disabilities in graduate school may include extended time for exams, note-taking assistance, audio-recorded lectures, and assistive technology. Additionally, some schools have support programs and mentors specifically for students with learning disabilities.

4. How can graduate schools support students with learning disabilities?

Graduate schools can support students with learning disabilities by providing equal access to education and accommodations, creating a welcoming and inclusive environment, and offering resources such as tutoring and counseling services. It is also important for graduate schools to educate faculty and staff about learning disabilities and how to best support students with them.

5. Is it necessary for students with learning disabilities to disclose their disability to their graduate school?

Disclosing a learning disability to a graduate school is a personal decision. However, it can be beneficial to disclose in order to receive accommodations and support services. Graduate schools are legally required to provide accommodations to students with documented disabilities, so disclosing a learning disability can help ensure that a student's needs are met.