Learning About Subwavelength Gratings and Effects on Light

• Thread starter fargoth
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of sub-wavelength ordered structures on light and the difficulties in finding reading materials on the topic. The use of fresnel or fraunhofer diffraction for structures with large spatial frequency is mentioned, as well as the production of evanescent waves. The concept of a "zero order grating" and its ability to selectively reflect wavelengths is also brought up. The terms "effective medium theory" and "coupled waves" are mentioned, but no clear connection to the zero order gratings is found. The conversation also mentions the strong polarization effect and interesting resonant effects, specifically involving plasmons. The speaker expresses their intention to order articles and continue their research on the topic.
fargoth
Anyone knows where i could find some good reading materials on the effects of sub-wavelength ordered structures on light?

I know how it works when the spatial frequency of the structure is large enough - then i can just use fresnel or fraunhofer diffraction (if I'm far enough).
Sub wavelength structures just produce evanescent waves according to these theories.. I shouldn't be able to see their effect if I'm watching them from a distance (which is in a greater order of magnitude then the wavelength - so everything my eye can focus on is far enough)... So I don't understand how there are optical effects which stem from these structures...
I've heard of a "zero order grating" which seems to selectively reflect wavelengths at different incident angles (but not diffract them - the angle of reflection is the angle of incidence - the 0'th order..)

when trying to find some material on it, i came across the terms "effective medium theory" and "coupled waves"... but i couldn't find anything which would connect it all and explain these "zero order gratings".

Physics news on Phys.org
Subwavelength gratings are still a fairly active field of research so books aren't readily available, but you might try searching photonics.com for popular articles.

The most obvious far-field effect of subwavelength gratings is strong polarization... for example the wire grid polarizer is mentioned as the first example of a 'polarizer' on wiki.
The polarizing effect is a result of the highly directional nature of the wires.

Beyond that there are interesting resonant effects, especially if you combine with metal layers or other gratings. Such resonances typically involve plasmons, which loosely are evanescent waves associated with metal surfaces.

thank you very much for your reply.

so i guess i'll have to order some articles and try my best to understand it from there... and maybe they even got some good references there too...

Last edited:

Related to Learning About Subwavelength Gratings and Effects on Light

1. What are subwavelength gratings?

Subwavelength gratings are structures made up of periodic patterns or grooves that are smaller than the wavelength of the light they interact with. These structures are typically used to manipulate or control the behavior of light in various applications.

2. How do subwavelength gratings affect light?

Subwavelength gratings can affect light in various ways, depending on their design and application. They can act as diffraction gratings, splitting light into different wavelengths or directions. They can also act as reflectors, polarizers, or waveguides, controlling the polarization, phase, and propagation of light.

3. What are the advantages of using subwavelength gratings?

The use of subwavelength gratings offers several advantages in optics and photonics. They can be designed to have high efficiency, accuracy, and precision in manipulating light. They are also compact and can be integrated into various devices, making them versatile and useful in different applications.

4. What are some applications of subwavelength gratings?

Subwavelength gratings have a wide range of applications in fields such as telecommunications, biosensing, solar cells, and displays. They are also used in optical instruments, such as spectrometers and microscopes, to enhance their performance and capabilities.

5. How are subwavelength gratings fabricated?

Subwavelength gratings are typically fabricated using lithography techniques, where the desired patterns are etched onto a substrate using specialized tools and processes. Other methods such as holographic lithography, nanoimprint lithography, and self-assembly techniques have also been used to fabricate subwavelength gratings.