Learning a language fairly fast (Fortran)

In summary, the speaker will be using Fortran for research this summer but does not know the language. They have a textbook on Fortran by Etter and are looking for additional online resources and general tips for learning the language. They are also wondering about the differences between Fortran 77 and Fortran 95 and if it is possible to switch between the two versions.
PCSL
I'm going to be using Fortran for research this summer (three weeks) and the one problem is I don't know Fortran. Obviously, I know I can't learn everything in three weeks but I assume it is possible to get a strong base. I already have a textbook on Fortran by Etter but possibly there are some good online resources that could be recommended. As someone who has never learned any language, I was wondering if there are any general tips (or specific tips for fortran).

Thanks (hopefully you haven't answer this question too many times :) ).

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks JesseC, I'll definitely use that link. I just realized the book my teacher gave me is on Fortran 77. Is there that big of a difference between versions when (I assume) I won't be using any of the advanced features?

Wow... Fortran 77 is old! I'm not entirely sure on compatibility issues since I've never used F77, however, there are a lot of new things in F90 that are not in F77 and which obviously won't work. Still if you're not using any of the new features, I believe F90 is largely backward compatible. Make sure your CAPS LOCK is working for F77 ;).

Could anyone else offer any insight on F77 vs. F95. It seems as if everything from 77 carries over to 95 if I would make the switch later I just want to be sure. Thanks :smile: .

Related to Learning a language fairly fast (Fortran)

1. How long does it take to learn Fortran?

The time it takes to learn Fortran depends on various factors such as your prior programming experience, the amount of time you dedicate to learning, and your learning style. With consistent effort, it is possible to become proficient in Fortran in a few months.

2. Is Fortran difficult to learn?

Fortran is considered to be a relatively easy programming language to learn. Its syntax is simple and concise, making it easy to read and write. However, like any other language, it does require practice and dedication to become proficient.

3. Can I learn Fortran without prior programming experience?

Yes, it is possible to learn Fortran without any prior programming experience. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts and logic can make the learning process easier and faster.

4. What resources are available for learning Fortran?

There are many online resources available for learning Fortran, including tutorials, videos, and interactive courses. Additionally, there are also books and online communities where you can ask for help and guidance from experienced Fortran programmers.

5. How can I improve my Fortran skills quickly?

To improve your Fortran skills quickly, it is important to practice consistently and regularly. You can also try working on small projects or challenges to apply your knowledge and learn new concepts. Seeking guidance from experienced programmers and actively engaging in online communities can also help accelerate your learning.