Learn What You Need to Know for Cosmology Research

In summary, it is difficult to give a specific guide on what topics one should study before diving into cosmology. It really depends on the school you are studying at.
arierreF
Hello,

I don't know if this is the right place to post this topic, I could not figure out the right one.
I have recently finished my Masters in Condensed Matter. Now I want to follow a PhD where I can work/research on the dynamics of the Universe especially on dark energy, modified gravity models, gravitation and black holes.

For what I understood, there are many pre requisites that I need before diving in such subjects.
I think the main ones are General Relativity and Quantum Field theory. But those topics also have pre requisites. Like differential geometry and classical field theory.

I have already studied tensor calculus (not so applied to physics) and second quantization.
Can you give a guide or list of what topics should I study before going to cosmology?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One of the difficulties here is that it really depends upon the school you're studying at. At higher levels, there's very little standardization, so it's hard to say in detail.

My thinking is that you shouldn't need to take a separate classical field theory or differential geometry class before starting in on GR and QFT. This was the case when I was studying for my Ph.D.. But your school may be different.

I think you should plan for diving right into GR and QFT, but confirm with the professors at your school just in case they really think another prerequisite is important.

Edit: And yes, GR and QFT are the big ones that you should study straight away. If a general cosmology class is offered, that would also be good to take.

Ok, I think I will follow your suggestion. I will try to find introductory books of GR and QFT.

If I find them very difficult, then I will study easier topic.

Thank you.

1. What is cosmology research?

Cosmology research is the study of the origins, evolution, and structure of the universe. It involves using scientific methods and theories to understand the physical laws and processes that govern the cosmos.

2. What are the main areas of focus in cosmology research?

The main areas of focus in cosmology research include understanding the Big Bang theory, dark matter and dark energy, the expansion of the universe, and the formation and evolution of galaxies and other cosmic structures.

3. What skills are needed for cosmology research?

Cosmology research requires a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and computer science. Other important skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and communication.

4. How do I prepare for a career in cosmology research?

To prepare for a career in cosmology research, it is recommended to pursue a degree in physics, astronomy, or a related field. Additionally, gaining research experience through internships or working in a laboratory can be beneficial.

5. What are some current topics in cosmology research?

Some current topics in cosmology research include studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, investigating the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and exploring the possibility of a multiverse. Other areas of interest include gravitational waves, black holes, and the search for extraterrestrial life.