Advanced quantum mechanics in high-energy theory/cosmology

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on which chapters from the Advanced Quantum Mechanics textbook by Sakurai would be most relevant to research work in high-energy theoretical physics, specifically in the areas of string/brane cosmology, cosmological perturbations, dark matter theories, inflationary models, topological defects, quantum gravity, and string theory. They have taken two courses in Quantum Mechanics at the level of Griffiths, but are not proficient in advanced topics such as WKB, time-dependent perturbations, variational principle, scattering, etc. They are looking to focus on the most relevant chapters to avoid spending time on less useful material.
spaghetti3451
I would like to know which chapters from the Advanced Quantum Mechanics textbook by Sakurai are most relevant to research work in high-energy theoretical physics.

The kind of research topics that I have in mind pertain to work in string/brane cosmology, cosmological perturbations, dark matter theories, inflationary models of the early universe, topological defects, etc. and all kinds of research work in quantum gravity and string theory.

My goal is to read only those chapters from Sakurai which are most relevant to work in these research topics. In the past, I have spent too much time learning subjects such as atomic and molecular physics, solid state physics, etc. and now I end up having no use for these. So, I would like to know which chapters you consider to be most relevant to research work in cosmology, quantum gravity and string theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your background in QM?

I took two courses in Quantum Mechanics at the level of Griffiths.

The first course covered the first half of the textbook and I am fairly adept at basic QM.

The second course covered the second half of the textbook, but I am not adept at material such as WKB, time-dependent perturbations, variational principle, scattering, etc.

Related to Advanced quantum mechanics in high-energy theory/cosmology

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It explains how particles such as electrons and photons behave and interact with each other.

What is high-energy theory?

High-energy theory is a branch of theoretical physics that studies the fundamental laws of nature at high energy scales, such as those found in particle accelerators or during the early stages of the universe. It aims to unify the four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force) into a single theory.

How does quantum mechanics relate to high-energy theory?

Quantum mechanics is an essential tool for studying high-energy theory. In high-energy environments, particles behave in ways that cannot be explained by classical physics, and quantum mechanics provides a framework for understanding these behaviors. High-energy theory also uses concepts from quantum field theory, a branch of quantum mechanics that studies the behavior of particles in fields.

What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It combines the principles of physics, astronomy, and mathematics to understand the universe's large-scale structure, composition, and dynamics.

How does quantum mechanics relate to cosmology?

Quantum mechanics plays a crucial role in understanding the early stages of the universe's evolution, such as the Big Bang. It also helps explain the behavior of particles in extreme cosmological environments, such as black holes. Additionally, quantum mechanics is used in theories that attempt to unify the fundamental forces of nature, which could have implications for our understanding of the universe's origins and structure.