Learn the Derivation of Motion Equations with Expert Guidance

• Thread starter Omar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivation
In summary, the motion equations (s=ut+0.5at^2, and v^2=u^2+2as) are derived from the definition of acceleration as the second derivative of position (as a function of time). When the acceleration is constant, they can be found through simple integration and manipulation of the equations for acceleration, velocity, and position.
Omar
Hello,

I'm new to the forums. This is my first thread here. I just wanted help in knowing where the motion equations (s=ut+0.5at^2, and v^2=u^2+2as) are derived from?

Thanks in advance..

Physics news on Phys.org
They are a consequence of the definition of acceleration as the second derivative of position (as a function of time). When the acceleration is constant, it's easy to find the velocity by doing a very simple integration.

[tex]x''(t)=a[/tex]

[tex]x'(t)=at+v_0[/tex]

The constant term is the velocity at time t=0. If we integrate this, we find the position as a function of time.

[tex]x(t)=\frac{1}{2}at^2+v_0t[/tex]

I could have added a new constant term that would have represented the position at time t=0, but this is usually chosen to be zero.

The second equation in your post can be derived from the velocity and position equations above.

fundamentally they were derived from equation of acceleration.

:)

start off with the definition of acceleration...
[tex]a = \frac{v_f-v_0}{t}[/tex]
[tex]v_f = v_0 + at[/tex]

Definition of average velocity...
[tex]v_{ave} = d/t[/tex]
[tex]d = \frac{v_f + v_0}{2}t[/tex]

substitute...

[tex]d = \frac{(v_0+at) + v_0}{2}t[/tex]
[tex]d = \frac{2v_0 + at}{2}t[/tex]
[tex]d = v_0t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

For the second equation...it just a lot of manipulation of the equation above and a substitution of the definition of accleration.

Related to Learn the Derivation of Motion Equations with Expert Guidance

What is a derivation?

A derivation is a sequence of logical steps that lead to a conclusion or solution. In scientific research, a derivation is often used to explain a theory or mathematical formula.

Why do I need help with derivation?

Derivation can be a complex and technical process, especially in fields such as physics or mathematics. Seeking help from others can provide a fresh perspective and help to identify any errors or mistakes in the derivation.

Where can I find resources for derivation?

There are many online resources available for derivation, such as textbooks, tutorials, and forums where experts can provide assistance. Your academic institution may also have resources such as tutoring services or workshops.

How do I know if my derivation is correct?

One way to check the correctness of a derivation is to compare it with known solutions or results in the field. It is also helpful to have someone else review your derivation and provide feedback.

Can I use derivations in my research?

Absolutely! Derivations are an essential part of scientific research and can be used to support theories, explain phenomena, and make predictions. Just be sure to properly cite and credit any derivations used in your work.