Learn Physics for Beginners - Recommended Resources

In summary, the conversation was about a computational science major seeking recommendations for physics websites or books for beginners. The expert advised looking for first year university physics courses that use calculus and buying a second-hand textbook. They also provided a few websites that may be helpful for learning physics.
tuablink
Hi,
I am a computational science major and I am interested to learn physic. Could anyone please recommend me some physics websites that teach me or a book for beginner?
Any help please!
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
tuablink said:
Hi,
I am a computational science major and I am interested to learn physic. Could anyone please recommend me some physics websites that teach me or a book for beginner?
Any help please!
Thank you

Look for first year university physics courses at your university that use calculus. Find out what textbook they are using and go to the campus textbook consignment store or to the bookstore and buy a second-hand copy. Start from the beginning, i.e. kinematics. The textbook should be sufficiently simple such that it defines basic concepts and the integration of calculus and linear algebra will likely keep you from getting bored while practicing the problems.

Related to Learn Physics for Beginners - Recommended Resources

1. What is the best way to learn physics for beginners?

The best way to learn physics for beginners is to start with the basics and build a strong foundation. This can be achieved by studying textbook material, watching online lectures, and practicing problems to reinforce understanding.

2. What are some recommended resources for learning physics?

Some recommended resources for learning physics include textbooks like "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, online courses from platforms like Coursera and Khan Academy, and practice problems from websites such as Physics Classroom and Physics Stack Exchange.

3. Do I need a strong math background to learn physics?

While a strong math background can certainly be helpful, it is not necessarily a requirement for learning physics as a beginner. However, having a basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry will make it easier to grasp concepts and solve problems.

4. Are there any interactive resources for learning physics?

Yes, there are many interactive resources for learning physics, such as simulations and virtual labs. These can be found on websites like PhET Interactive Simulations and Physics Classroom.

5. How can I apply what I learn in physics to real-world situations?

Physics is the study of the natural world and its laws, so its concepts and principles can be applied to many real-world situations. By understanding the fundamentals of physics, you can better understand how things work in the world around you, from the motion of objects to the behavior of light and sound.