Learn LaTeX: Where to Get & How to Use It

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter qtp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of LaTeX and how to access and learn it. The program is recommended for math and physics applications and can be downloaded from the MikTeX website. Resources and tips for learning LaTeX are also provided. Additionally, the conversation briefly touches on potential errors that may occur and a question about repeating equations with the same number.
qtp
can someone please help me. i have never used latex and i don't have tex either but it seems like a really great program to have for math/phys type apps. can anyone tell me where to get it or how to get it and maybe a good way to learn to use it? any help is much appreciated.

thank you
Preston :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Windows user, I presume?

Start here:
http://www.miktex.org/

Then learn LaTeXing from any of these
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/Misc/LaTeX-Tutorial/LaTeX-Home.html
https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf
http://amath.colorado.edu/documentation/LaTeX/Symbols.pdf <<great reference!
http://www.cds.caltech.edu/~dunbar/docs/amsldoc.pdf

and you can ask us questions in this subforum
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

On this particular forum, you can embed Tex with [ tex ] [ /tex ] delimiters. You don't need any extra software to do this! Click on any embedded TeX to see its source code:

[tex]\Gamma(z)=\int_0^{\infty}t^{z-1}\, e^{-t} \, dt \quad \mbox{(Click on me!)}[/tex]

Or if you're trying to make a document (such as a paper or article), you create a text file containing your LaTeX code, save it as a .tex, and, using your LaTeX compiler (windows users use MikTeX - I give the link above) to create a readable DVI document:

latex filename.tex

and then you read/print/export-to-pdf the resulting document, "filename.dvi".

Last edited by a moderator:
ty vm :) hmm 10 chars

I wish I could give you a detailed explanation but I have to go pretty soon...but here's a LaTeX document I wrote:

\documentclass[onecolumn, 10pt]{article}
\title{Quantum Mechanics II: Homework}
\maketitle
\begin{document}
4.26 (a) Check that the spin matrices
\begin{equation}
S_{z} = \frac{\hbar}{2}\left(\begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 0 \\
0 & -1 \end{array} \right)
\end{equation}
\newline
\begin{equation}
S_{x} = \frac{\hbar}{2}\left(\begin{array}{ccc}
0 & 1 \\
1 & 0 \end{array} \right)
\end{equation}
\newline
\begin{equation}
S_{y} = \frac{\hbar}{2}\left(\begin{array}{ccc}
0 & -i \\
i & 0 \end{array} \right)
\end{equation}
\newline
obey the fundamental communtation relations for angular momentum:
\begin{equation}
[S_{x}, S_{y}] = i\hbar S_{z}
\end{equation}
\newline
\begin{equation}
[S_{y}, S_{z}] = i\hbar S_{x}
\end{equation}
\newline
\begin{equation}
[S_{z}, S_{x}] = i\hbar S_{y}
\end{equation}
(b) Show that the Pauli spin matrices
\begin{equation}
\sigma_{x} = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}
0 & 1 \\
1 & 0 \end{array} \right)
\end{equation}
\newline
\begin{equation}
\sigma_{y} = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}
0 & -i \\
i & 0 \end{array} \right)
\end{equation}
\newline
\begin{equation}
\sigma_{z} = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 0 \\
0 & -1 \end{array} \right)
\end{equation}
\newline
satisfy the product rule
\begin{equation}
\sigma _{j}\sigma _{k} = \delta _{jk} + i\sum_{l}\epsilon _{jkl}\sigma _{l}
\end{equation}
\newpage
4.29) (a) Find the eigenvalues and eigenspinors of $S_{y}$ \newline
(b) If you measure $S_{y}$ on a particle in the general state $\chi$ where
\begin{equation}
\chi = \left(\begin{array}{ccc} a\\b\end{array}\right) = \left(a\chi _{+} + b\chi _{-}\right)
\end{equation}
\newline
what values might you get, and what is the probability of each? $a$ and $b$ need not be real and check that the probabilities add up to 1 \newline
(c) If you measured $S^{2}_{y}$ what values might you get and with what probabilities?\newline

4.30) Construct the matrix $S_{r}$ representing the component of spin angular momentum along the arbitrary direction $\widehat{r}$
\begin{equation}
\widehat{r} = \sin \theta \cos \phi \widehat{i} + \sin \theta \sin \phi \widehat{j} + \cos \theta \widehat{k}
\end{equation}

Find the eigenvalues and (normalized) eigenspinors of $S_{r}$ \newline
\newline
4.33) An electron is at rest in an oscillating magnetic field \newline
\begin{equation}
\widehat{B} = \widehat{B}_{0} \cos \left(\omega t \right) \widehat{k}
\end{equation}
where $\widehat{B}_{0}$ and $\omega $ are constants. \newline
(a) Construct the Hamitonian matrix directly for this system.\newline
(b) The electron starts out (at \textit{t} = 0) in the spin up state with respect to the \textit{x} axis (that is: $\chi(\theta) = \chi^{x}_{+}$)\newline
Determine $\chi \left(t\right)$ at any subsequent time. \newline
(c) Find the probability of getting $\frac{-\hbar}{2}$ if you measure $S_{x}$\newline
(d) What is the minimum field required to force a complete flip in $S_{x}$?

\end{document}

Copy and paste into an editor and see what happens...if you have any questions about it, feel free to send me an IM or email and I'll get back to you ASAP.

And if time permits, I'll try to give you a better explanation of LaTeX.

Windows, use MikTex for your Tex distribution, and texnicenter for your editor. texnicenter has all your documents for reference right there and it has many good IDE features to help you create documents quickly

I installed MikTex and TeXniccentre and I am just learning how to use LaTeX, whenever I try to convert to PDF there is this odd error box comes up, It said that the file dosen't exist that I am trying to preview in PDF. Someone help!

Hi

I want to repeat an equation in my latex document but I want it to keep the same number as its original. I have tried to use eqnref.sty but cannot work out how to do it. Can anyone help me please?

tunainbrine said:
Hi

I want to repeat an equation in my latex document but I want it to keep the same number as its original. I have tried to use eqnref.sty but cannot work out how to do it. Can anyone help me please?

I've always wondered how to do that. I gave up trying to find out and just didn't give the second equation a number, so the reader can refer to the original; however I would still like to know how to do this (if there's a simple way, anyway!)

Related to Learn LaTeX: Where to Get & How to Use It

What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting system used for creating technical or scientific documents. It is based on the TeX typesetting language and is particularly useful for creating complex mathematical and scientific formulas.

Where can I get LaTeX?

LaTeX is free and open-source software, so it can be downloaded from the official website or through a variety of other sources such as package managers or repositories. Some popular distributions include TeX Live and MiKTeX.

Do I need to have coding experience to use LaTeX?

No, you do not need to have coding experience to use LaTeX. While it does use a markup language, it is relatively easy to learn and does not require extensive coding knowledge. There are also many resources available online to help beginners get started.

What are the advantages of using LaTeX over other typesetting systems?

LaTeX offers a high level of control and precision over the layout and formatting of documents, making it ideal for producing scientific or technical documents. It also has a large and active community, with a wide range of templates and packages available for various purposes.

Can I collaborate with others using LaTeX?

Yes, LaTeX supports collaboration by allowing multiple users to work on the same document simultaneously. It also has features for tracking changes and merging revisions, making it a popular choice for collaborative writing and editing.