Learn How to Study Physics at Top Universities

In summary, universities typically teach Classical Mechanics in a single semester, with lectures. Many also include humanities subjects in their undergraduate Physics courses.
Peon666
I'd like to know how they teach Physics in reputed universities? For example, let's take Classical Mechanics. Is it taught in a single semester (talking about undergraduation)? How many lectures? Do they have humanities subjects (optional) in undergrad Physics? etc.etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the school you go to.

At a liberal arts university, you will probably have to take a good deal of GE humanities/sociology/arts credits along with all of your physics courses.

At a university which does not focus on liberal arts, the GE requirement may be less.

For instance I am a physics major at a medium sized Jesuit liberal arts University.We make it into the Northeast Top 10 Undergraduate Universities list in US News and World Report every year. The university is not elite, but it is known. My university also focuses HEAVILY on liberal arts education. I had to take 9 credits of philosophy, 6 of history,6 of foreign language.humanities, 6 of sociology, etc. along with all of my physics math and engineering courses.

So, yes, a school could require humanities and GE courses along with physics.

For my classical mechanics class( by which I am assuming you are talking about a 300 level mechanics class, not an intro mechanics class), we met 3 days a week for an hour for one semester.

My 200 level "Modern Physics" course was one semester for 3 hours a week lecture.

My 400 level E&M courses covered two semesters with 3 one hour lectures a week.

My Quantum course was one required semester (300 level) with a second semester (400 level) as an optional physics elective, which I am taking now.

There are other physics courses that I had to take, but this should be enough to give you an idea of how my school runs it's physics courses. Whether my school falls under your definition of "reputable" i do not know, but it should give you some idea of university physics courses and what else may be required of you.

Last edited:
Do you have specific universities you are looking at? Best thing to do would be to visit the physics department section for each and find out.

IF the university has an OCW (although not many do) you could look up the physics course and find out how long they spend on each subject.

Related to Learn How to Study Physics at Top Universities

1. What are the benefits of studying physics at a top university?

Studying physics at a top university provides numerous benefits, including access to state-of-the-art facilities and resources, highly qualified and experienced professors, a competitive and challenging academic environment, and networking opportunities with other top students and professionals in the field.

2. How can I prepare for studying physics at a top university?

To prepare for studying physics at a top university, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, as well as a solid understanding of basic physics concepts. It is also beneficial to read up on current research and advancements in the field, and to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. What courses should I take to study physics at a top university?

Some common courses to take in preparation for studying physics at a top university include calculus, differential equations, mechanics, and electromagnetism. It is also recommended to take advanced courses in physics and to pursue research opportunities, if available.

4. How can I stand out as a physics student at a top university?

To stand out as a physics student at a top university, it is important to maintain a strong academic performance, actively participate in class and ask questions, and get involved in research projects or internships. It is also beneficial to attend conferences and events related to the field, and to network with professors and professionals.

5. What career opportunities are available for physics graduates from top universities?

Physics graduates from top universities have a wide range of career opportunities, including research positions in academia or industry, engineering roles, data analysis and modeling positions, and teaching opportunities. Many top universities also have strong connections with companies and organizations, providing graduates with potential job opportunities upon graduation.