Learn Differential Geometry: Books for Bachelor in Geometric Quantization

In summary, if you are looking for a book that will cover the basics of symplectic manifolds and give you a bit more depth on the subject, Wisdom and Farr's "Functional Differential Geometry" may be a good choice.
Fgard
I am taking my bachelor in geometric quantization but I have no real experience in differential geometry ( a part of my project is to learn that). So I find myself in need of some good books that cover that the basics and a bit more in depth about symplectic manifolds.

If you have any recommendations that would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
A very interesting book, with a quite distinctive approach, is Sussman, Wisdom and Farr's "Functional Differential Geometry", also available free online at https://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/users/gjs/6946/calculus-indexed.pdf

The different thing about this book is that it is supported by software examples throughout, which you can run on MIT-Scheme's "scmutils/mechanics" software to check your understanding.

I have just started it myself. You may find you need another text, too, with a more conventional approach, but this one is really fun. They have stated that a lot of their inspiration came from Spivak's approach in "Calculus on Manifolds", so this may be just what you want.

Incidentally, Sussman and Wisdom, with Mayer, have done another quite well-known book, "Structure and Interpretation of Classical Mechanics", which gives the same practical, unambiguous treatment to Lagrange, Hamilton and dynamics in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip. I will check out the book.

Hi Fgard,
Once you've had a chance to have a good look at it, I'd appreciate your opinion/feedback.
Like I said, it's quite an unconventional approach, so you may need to get your head around their style a bit, but really cool once you get going.

ScmUtils is a bit of an albatross, but does work well once you set it up. I know that there are people working on porting it to more modern envirnmonents :wink:, so hopefully this approach will catch on in the future...

Related to Learn Differential Geometry: Books for Bachelor in Geometric Quantization

1. What is differential geometry and why is it important?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies geometric properties of smooth curves and surfaces in higher dimensions. It provides a mathematical framework for understanding the shape and curvature of objects in space. Differential geometry is important in many fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

2. What is geometric quantization?

Geometric quantization is a mathematical procedure that aims to construct a quantum theory from a classical theory. It involves finding a mathematical representation of a classical system in terms of quantum operators and states, allowing for the study of quantum mechanical properties of the system.

3. What are some recommended books for learning differential geometry for a Bachelor's degree?

Some recommended books for learning differential geometry for a Bachelor's degree include "Introduction to Smooth Manifolds" by John Lee, "Differential Geometry: Curves - Surfaces - Manifolds" by Wolfgang Kuhnel, and "Differential Geometry: A First Course in Curves and Surfaces" by Theodore Shifrin.

4. What are the prerequisites for learning differential geometry?

To learn differential geometry, it is helpful to have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and multivariable calculus. Familiarity with concepts such as vector spaces, matrices, and partial derivatives is also beneficial.

5. How can I apply differential geometry in my research or career?

Differential geometry has applications in many fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and robotics. It can be useful in understanding the shape and motion of objects, modeling physical systems, and optimizing designs. For example, geometric quantization is used in theoretical physics to study quantum mechanics of physical systems.