LCDM Tensions: Localising Missing Physics Through Consistency Checks (especially redshifts)

• A
  • Thread starter sbrothy
  • Start date
sbrothy
Gold Member
(arxiv, Feb, 2024) LCDM Tensions: Localising Missing Physics Through Consistency Checks.

So, another article which - to me - looks intriguing but sadly passes pretty far over my head. I'm always a little sceptic about articles whose authors start out with a poetry quote - or, as is "often" the case - a Doglas Adams quote.

It seems to make a case for new physics to be found re-evaluating redshifts.

I then found this old paper: (arxiv, 2011) The New Physics of Cosmic Redshift which seems to say that there's nothing, or at least not much, new knowledge to be found there, but, ofcourse a lot of time has passed between the two.

I guess I can't expect anyone to read through all this just to give me their opinion, so I'll settle for an answer to this "simple" question:

Is it conceivable that there's new physics to be found hiding in the re-analysis of the redshifts of the objects out there?

I'll understand if my question is too naive or vague to merit a serious answer (much less one I can actually understand), It just seemed to me that they're talking about a relatively "simple" approach.

Regards.

Related to LCDM Tensions: Localising Missing Physics Through Consistency Checks (especially redshifts)

1. What are LCDM tensions?

LCDM tensions refer to discrepancies or inconsistencies within the standard Lambda Cold Dark Matter model of the universe. These tensions arise when different observations or measurements do not align with the predictions made by the LCDM model.

2. How can missing physics be localized through consistency checks?

Missing physics can be localized through consistency checks by carefully examining the discrepancies or tensions between different observational data sets. By identifying where these tensions exist, scientists can pinpoint areas where the current understanding of physics may be incomplete or incorrect.

3. Why are redshifts important in studying LCDM tensions?

Redshifts play a crucial role in studying LCDM tensions because they provide information about the expansion of the universe and the distance of celestial objects. Discrepancies in redshift measurements can indicate potential inconsistencies in our understanding of cosmology and the underlying physics.

4. How do consistency checks help in localizing missing physics?

Consistency checks help in localizing missing physics by comparing different observational data sets and looking for areas where they do not agree. By identifying these discrepancies, scientists can narrow down the possible sources of missing physics and work towards resolving the tensions within the LCDM model.

5. What are some examples of inconsistencies that can be addressed through localizing missing physics?

Examples of inconsistencies that can be addressed through localizing missing physics include discrepancies in measurements of the Hubble constant, the distribution of dark matter in galaxies, and the clustering of large-scale structures in the universe. By pinpointing the sources of these tensions, scientists can uncover new physics that may be missing from the current understanding of the universe.