Laws of Motion with Components

In summary, the object experiences a net force of (-42.00i + 2.00j)N and an acceleration of magnitude 3.75 m/s2. Its direction can be found using the equation V = at, where V is the velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. However, to find the velocity components in the x and y directions, more information is needed.
Ayesh
Three forces acting on an objetc are given by F1=(-2.00i + 2.00j)N, F2=(5.00i - 3.00j)N, F3=(-45.0i)N The object experiences an acceleration of magnitude 3.75 m/s2.
a) What is the direction of the accceleration?
b) What is the mass of the object?
c) If the object is initially at rest, what is its speed after 10.0s?
d) What are the velocity components of the object after 10.0s?

The only I'm unable to do is d).
Can someone give me some hints to do it please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Velocity and Acceleration are vectors; time is a scalar unit. If, for constant acceleration, V = at, what's the direction of the velocity?

I don't see how it will help me find the velocity in y and x.

Related to Laws of Motion with Components

1. What are the three laws of motion with components?

The three laws of motion with components are:

• First Law - also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force.
  • Second Law - also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.
  • Third Law - also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do you calculate the net force acting on an object in motion?

The net force acting on an object in motion is calculated by adding together all of the individual forces acting on the object. This can be done by using vector addition, where each force is represented by an arrow with its magnitude and direction.

3. What is the difference between weight and mass in terms of laws of motion with components?

In terms of laws of motion with components, weight refers to the force of gravity acting on an object, while mass refers to the amount of matter an object contains. The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it, but inversely proportional to its mass. This means that an object with a larger mass will require a greater force to accelerate it compared to an object with a smaller mass.

4. Can an object be at rest and still have forces acting on it?

Yes, an object can be at rest and still have forces acting on it. This is because the first law of motion states that an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force. So even if an object is not moving, there may still be forces acting on it that are balanced and cancel each other out, resulting in no overall motion.

5. How do the laws of motion with components apply to real-life situations?

The laws of motion with components apply to real-life situations in various ways. For example, the first law of motion can be seen when a car comes to a stop after the brakes are applied. The second law of motion can be observed when a person pushes a shopping cart and it moves faster when more force is applied. The third law of motion can be seen when a rocket is launched into space, as the force of the rocket pushing down on the ground results in an equal and opposite force pushing the rocket upwards.