Finding velocity components with Forces?

In summary, three forces (F1, F2, and F3) acting on an object with an acceleration of 3.55 m/s2 were given. The velocity components of the object after 4 seconds were requested. The direction of the acceleration was calculated to be 169.74 degrees, which was confirmed to be correct. The object's speed after 14 seconds was calculated to be 49.7 m/s, which was also confirmed to be correct. However, when calculating the y component of the velocity (vy), there was a discrepancy between the calculated value and the expected value. It was suggested to check the math and make sure the correct angle was used. The individual asking for help also questioned if they wrote down
JessicaJ283782
Three forces acting on an object are given by F1 = (−1.85i+ 6.35j) N, F2 = (4.90i − 1.15j) N, and F3 = (−44.5i) N. The object experiences an acceleration of magnitude 3.55 m/s2.

They want the velocity components of the object after 4 seconds.

First, I calculated the direction of the acceleration to be 169.74 degrees, which it says is correct.

So, I went and calculated its speed after 14 seconds, and I got 49.7 m/s and it says its right.

Then, I went and and calculated vx=49.7*cos(169.74) and got it right.

However, when I go to calculate vy=49.7*sin(169.74), it says its wrong but "I calculated the y component correctly using my incorrect values from above". Yet I got all of the above information right...can anyone help if I'm doing something wrong when calculating vy?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe you try inputing 49.7*sin(10.26).

Check the math ... I don't get the same angle you calculated. Or apparently what the answer key has calculated. Maybe you wrote it down wrong? Please show your work.

Related to Finding velocity components with Forces?

1. How can forces be used to find velocity components?

Forces can be used to find velocity components by using Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. By knowing the force acting on an object and its mass, we can calculate the acceleration and then use kinematic equations to find the velocity components.

2. What is the relationship between force and velocity components?

The relationship between force and velocity components is indirect. An object's velocity components can be influenced by the forces acting on it, but they are not directly proportional. This is because an object's velocity is also affected by its mass and any other external factors, such as friction or air resistance.

3. Can multiple forces act on an object to determine its velocity components?

Yes, multiple forces can act on an object to determine its velocity components. In fact, it is common for multiple forces to act on an object at the same time. These forces can be combined using vector addition to find the net force, which can then be used to calculate the acceleration and ultimately, the velocity components.

4. What role does the direction of the force play in finding velocity components?

The direction of the force is crucial in finding velocity components because forces are vector quantities, meaning they have both magnitude and direction. The direction of the force affects the direction of the acceleration, which in turn affects the direction of the velocity components. It is important to consider the direction of the force when using forces to find velocity components.

5. Can forces be used to find both the magnitude and direction of velocity components?

Yes, forces can be used to find both the magnitude and direction of velocity components. By using vector addition, we can find the net force acting on an object, which can then be used to calculate the magnitude and direction of the acceleration. From there, we can use kinematic equations to find the magnitude and direction of the velocity components.