Law of Sines Word Problem (Photo Included)

In summary, the leaning tower of Pisa was originally 179ft tall and perpendicular to the ground. After sinking, it now leans at a certain angle 'theta' from the perpendicular. When viewed from a point 150ft from the center of its base, the angle of elevation is 53 degrees. Using the Law of Sines, the angle theta is approximately 5 degrees and the distance d is approximately 15.7 feet.
TrueStar

Homework Statement

The leaning tower of Pisa was originally perpendicular to the ground and 179ft tall. Because of sinking into the earth, it now leans at a certain angle 'theta' from the perpendicular, as shown in the figure. When the top of the tower is viewed from a point 150ft from teh center of its base, the angle of elevation is 53 degrees.

a) Approximate the angle theta.

b) Approximate the distance d that the center of the top of the tower has moved from the perpendicular.

Here is the photo. I apologize for the blurry photo. If needed I'll try to get my real camera and take a better one.
4120399249_a3f62a33dc.jpg

Homework Equations

Law of Sines. Maybe one can solve this by other means, but it is implied I can do this with Law of Sines alone.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the height of the tower is the the length of one side of the right triangle (the straight line on the tower in the photo). I'm not sure if that is also true for the line the represents how the tower leans. I'm not sure where to start with this as a result. I think I need a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you know that:

[tex]\frac{sin(53)}{H_a}[/tex] - with [tex]H_a[/tex] being the height after

is equal to what?

That would equal to sin c\150 feet. That is, if sin c is the angle at the top for the triangle involving Ha.

Am I supposed to know how to get that angle..or am I really off track?

TrueStar said:
That would equal to sin c\150 feet. That is, if sin c is the angle at the top for the triangle involving Ha.

Am I supposed to know how to get that angle.

yes.

OK, I slept on it and worked on it a bit more this morning. I think the angle that is opposite to the ground is 37 degrees. Therefore:

sin 53\Ha=sin 37\150

I found this angle by finding all angles of the right triangle and then creating two more right triangles between the perpendicular and Ha.

But 37 is no longer the third angle after the tower has leaned no?

I thought that was odd. I just don't know how to find this angle. After leaning, should it be larger than 37 degrees?

OK I think I have a correct answer. The angle theta is 5 degrees and the distance d is about 15.7 feet. I let the length of the perpendicular and the leaning part be equal to 179 feet. I don't know if that's what the diagram implied though.

Related to Law of Sines Word Problem (Photo Included)

1. What is the Law of Sines?

The Law of Sines is a trigonometric rule that relates the sides and angles of a triangle. It states that the ratio of the length of a side to the sine of its opposite angle is constant for all sides and angles in a triangle.

2. How is the Law of Sines used to solve word problems?

The Law of Sines can be used to solve word problems by setting up and solving a proportion based on the given information. The proportion will involve the ratio of a side to the sine of its opposite angle, and this can be solved for the unknown side or angle using basic algebra.

3. What do the variables in the Law of Sines stand for?

The variables in the Law of Sines represent different elements of a triangle. 'a', 'b', and 'c' represent the lengths of the sides, while 'A', 'B', and 'C' represent the angles opposite those sides.

4. Can the Law of Sines be used for any triangle?

Yes, the Law of Sines can be used for any triangle, whether it is acute, right, or obtuse. However, if the triangle is a right triangle, the Law of Sines may not be the most efficient method for solving the problem.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Law of Sines?

Yes, the Law of Sines has limitations. It can only be used to solve triangles if the given information includes at least one side and its opposite angle, or two sides and their included angle. Additionally, the Law of Sines may yield multiple solutions for a triangle, so it is important to carefully consider the given information to determine the most appropriate solution.