Laurent Series Expansion coefficient for f(z) = 1/(z-1)^2

In summary, the coefficients c_n of the Laurent series expansion for the function 1/(z-1)^2 are given by the summation from n=0 to infinity of (n+1)z^-(n+2), valid for |z|>1. The two different Laurent series for the function are not able to be added together due to convergence issues.
kpizzano

Homework Statement

Determine the coefficients [itex]c_n[/itex] of the Laurent series expansion

[itex]\frac{1}{(z-1)^2} = \sum_{n = -\infty}^{\infty} c_n z^n[/itex]

that is valid for [itex]|z| > 1[/itex].

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I found expansions valid for [itex]|z|>1[/itex] and [itex]|z|<1[/itex]:

[itex]\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \left(n-1\right)z^n, |z|>1[/itex] and

[itex]\sum_{n = 2}^{\infty} \left(n-1\right)z^{-n}, |z|<1[/itex]

I know that if I negate the n's in the second equation and change the index of the sum to go from -∞ to -2 I can add them together to get the sum from -∞ to ∞, but I don't know what to do about the missing n=1 term. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are two different Laurent series for the function, each one being valid in different portions of the complex plane. You can't add them together because, at a particular value of z, only one will converge.

You might want to show us your work on how you found the series because they're not correct.

I just noticed that I missed the part in the problem statement that says valid for [itex] |z|>1 [/itex], so I only need

[itex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(n+1\right)z^{-\left(n+2\right)}[/itex].

I got that by noticing that [itex] \frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^2} = \frac{1}{z^2\left(1-\frac{1}{z}\right)^2}[/itex]

Using the geometric series expansion, [itex]= \frac{1}{z^2}\left(1 + \frac{1}{z} + \frac{1}{z^2} + \frac{1}{z^3} + ...\right)^2
= \frac{1}{z^2}\left(1 + \frac{2}{z} + \frac{3}{z^2} + \frac{4}{z^3} + ...\right)
= \frac{1}{z^2} + \frac{2}{z^3} + \frac{3}{z^4} + \frac{4}{z^5} + ...
=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(n+1\right)z^{-\left(n+2\right)}, for |z|>1[/itex]

Now that I have that, I'm not sure how I can extend the indices of the summation so that they match what we were given in the problem statement.

You got it. You don't need to extend the summation. The "missing" terms aren't there because cn=0 for those powers of z.

Ok, thanks so much for commenting!

Related to Laurent Series Expansion coefficient for f(z) = 1/(z-1)^2

1. What is the Laurent Series Expansion coefficient for f(z) = 1/(z-1)^2?

The Laurent Series Expansion coefficient for f(z) = 1/(z-1)^2 is -1.

2. How is the Laurent Series Expansion coefficient calculated?

The Laurent Series Expansion coefficient is calculated by taking the residue at the singularity, which is the coefficient of the term with the smallest negative power of (z-1) in the series.

3. What does the Laurent Series Expansion coefficient represent?

The Laurent Series Expansion coefficient represents the behavior of the function near a singularity, in this case, the point z=1.

4. Can the Laurent Series Expansion coefficient be negative?

Yes, the Laurent Series Expansion coefficient can be negative. It depends on the function and the singularity being evaluated.

5. How is the Laurent Series Expansion coefficient related to the concept of poles in complex analysis?

The Laurent Series Expansion coefficient is related to poles in complex analysis as it represents the residue at the pole, which is the value of the function at the singularity. The order of the pole also affects the value of the coefficient.