Latex- how to do single quotes?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter binbagsss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the quickest way to do single or double quotes is by using the open and close quote key on your keyboard, which is located to the left of the "1" and two to the right of the "L" on a qwerty keyboard. In addition, for double quotes in LaTeX, it is proper to use two single quotes instead of one double quote. If there are any issues with the quotes not working, it is likely due to an error in typing or a glitch in the LaTeX engine. Refer to Oeteker T. et al's "The not so short introduction to LaTeX" for more information on quotes.
binbagsss
Quickest way to do ' '?

Thanks a lot !

Physics news on Phys.org
You just type out the single quotes - there is an open and close quote key on your keyboard.
The open quote is located to the left of the "1" and the close is two to the right of the "L" on a qwerty keyboard.

Simon Bridge said:
You just type out the single quotes - there is an open and close quote key on your keyboard.
The open quote is located to the left of the "1" and the close is two to the right of the "L" on a qwerty keyboard.

haha.
thanks.

In addition, the proper way to do double quotes in LaTeX is to use to single quotes:
Code:
People should quote like ``this'' not like "that."

CodeCogsEqn.gif

Simon Bridge said:
oh, i thought it would work and didnt try it.
its not working
its producing the same resuslt as ' ' does.

do i need to use it with a back slash or anything?

thanks.

Try copying and pasting the code I wrote in post #4, and remove one single quote on each side.

Also grab... Oeteker T. et al (2014) The not so short introduction to LaTeX.
https://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/?lang=en
You want the pdf. Quotes (singe and double) are covered on p20-21.

It is possible that there's a glitch in your LaTeX engine but that would be very unusual - it is far more likely that there is something about with the way you typed it out. If you still get the problem, copy and paste the exact source that you used to a reply.

Last edited:

Related to Latex- how to do single quotes?

1. What is the proper syntax for single quotes in Latex?

The proper syntax for single quotes in Latex is to use two backticks (``) for opening quotes and two apostrophes ('') for closing quotes. This is the default behavior for most Latex editors.

2. Can I use single quotes for both opening and closing quotes?

Yes, you can use single quotes for both opening and closing quotes in Latex. However, it is recommended to use the proper syntax mentioned in the previous question for consistency and compatibility with other Latex editors.

3. How do I insert a single quote in between words or phrases?

To insert a single quote in between words or phrases, you can use the escape character (\) before the single quote. For example, to write "don't" in Latex, you would type "don\'t".

4. Can I customize the appearance of single quotes in Latex?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of single quotes in Latex by using the package "csquotes". This allows you to change the style and language of your quotes, as well as add additional features such as block quotes and nested quotes.

5. Are there any common errors or issues when using single quotes in Latex?

One common error when using single quotes in Latex is forgetting to use the proper syntax of two backticks and two apostrophes, which can result in incorrect formatting or errors in your document. Another issue is when the font used does not have the proper single quote characters, in which case you can use the package "textcomp" to access them.