Latex code for the functor Hom_R( _ , X)

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Code Latex
In summary, Peter is looking for help with the correct Latex code for the functor Hom_R( _ , X). He has tried to use the symbol for the functor, but it is not displaying the underscore. He is wondering if someone can provide him with the correct code, and mentions that he prefers the symbol Hom_R( \_ , X).
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Can someone please help me with the correct Latex code for the functor Hom_R( _ , X)

When I try to get the correct symbol for the functor I get \(\displaystyle Hom_R( _ , X)\) , that is I get a symbol without the _ displayed.

Can someone please help me with the correct code?

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
Can someone please help me with the correct Latex code for the functor Hom_R( _ , X)

When I try to get the correct symbol for the functor I get \(\displaystyle Hom_R( _ , X)\) , that is I get a symbol without the _ displayed.

Can someone please help me with the correct code?

Peter

Hi Peter,

You need to "escape" the underscore with a backslash.
That is: Hom_R( \_ , X)
This shows up as: \(\displaystyle Hom_R( \_ , X)\)

\(\displaystyle \operatorname{Hom} \_ _R ( \_ ,X)\)
Is that what you want?

Or is it \(\displaystyle \operatorname{Hom}_R ( \_ ,X)\)?

The code for the first one is "\operatorname{Hom} \_ _R ( \_ ,X)"-the underscore must be preceded by a backslash.

I don't know why an underscore is chosen, though- if "_" is an argument of the 'Hom' function, shouldn't it be a letter?

jacobi said:
\(\displaystyle \operatorname{Hom} \_ _R ( \_ ,X)\)
Is that what you want?

Or is it \(\displaystyle \operatorname{Hom}_R ( \_ ,X)\)?

The code for the first one is "\operatorname{Hom} \_ _R ( \_ ,X)"-the underscore must be preceded by a backslash.

I don't know why an underscore is chosen, though- if "_" is an argument of the 'Hom' function, shouldn't it be a letter?

Thanks I like Serena and Jacobi ...

Yes, definitely wanted the symbol \(\displaystyle Hom_R( \_ , X)\) ...

Thanks again for the help ...

Peter

Thank you for reaching out. The correct LaTeX code for the functor Hom_R( _ , X) is \text{Hom}_R(\_, X). This should display the symbol with the underscore correctly. If you are still having trouble, please provide more context or the specific symbol you are trying to display. I would be happy to assist further.

Related to Latex code for the functor Hom_R( _ , X)

1. What is the purpose of using Latex code for the functor Hom_R( _ , X)?

The Latex code for the functor Hom_R( _ , X) is used to represent the Hom functor in category theory. It maps objects from a category to sets of morphisms between them, and is commonly used in algebraic and geometric settings.

2. How is the Hom_R( _ , X) functor represented in Latex code?

The Hom_R( _ , X) functor is represented using the command \Hom_R( \_ , X) in Latex. The underscore symbol \_ is used as a placeholder for the two objects in the functor's domain.

3. Can the functor Hom_R( _ , X) be used in any category?

Yes, the Hom_R( _ , X) functor can be used in any category as long as the category has objects and morphisms that can be mapped to sets. It is commonly used in the category of modules over a ring R, but can also be used in other categories such as groups and vector spaces.

4. How can I add additional parameters to the Hom_R( _ , X) functor in Latex?

You can add additional parameters to the Hom_R( _ , X) functor in Latex by including them in the command as follows: \Hom_R( \_ , X, Y). This will represent the Hom functor with the additional parameter Y.

5. Are there any alternative ways to represent the Hom_R( _ , X) functor in Latex?

Yes, there are alternative ways to represent the Hom_R( _ , X) functor in Latex, such as using the \operatorname{Hom}_R( \_, X) command or the \text{Hom}_R( \_, X) command. However, using the \Hom_R( \_ , X) command is the most common and widely accepted way.