Lateral pressure on tank walls

In summary, the conversation is about building a deep shaft pool and determining the force on the walls at a depth of 88 feet. The question is whether the force is equivalent to atmospheric pressure, which is approximately 40 psi. The conversation also touches on the importance of licensed pool builders and certified designs.
briangiles
Hello,

We are an importer of SCUBA diving equipment and are building a pool. I see multiple formulas and opinions, I'm hoping for a KISS answer. Although I don't think Width or length has anything to do with my question, we are building a deep shaft pool that will be 25'Wx35'Lx88'D. What is the force on the walls at 88' please? is it atmospheric pressure, 1 bar per 10m/33' so about 40psi?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, about 40 psi gauge

Last edited:
briangiles said:
Moderator note: Moved from new member
Hello,

We are an importer of SCUBA diving equipment and are building a pool. I see multiple formulas and opinions, I'm hoping for a KISS answer. Although I don't think Width or length has anything to do with my question, we are building a deep shaft pool that will be 25'Wx35'Lx88'D. What is the force on the walls at 88' please? is it atmospheric pressure, 1 bar per 10m/33' so about 40psi?
So do you think licensed pool builders/installers carry insurance and use certified designs? Why do you think that is?

Related to Lateral pressure on tank walls

What is lateral pressure on tank walls?

Lateral pressure on tank walls is the force exerted by a fluid on the sides of a tank. It is caused by the weight of the fluid and can vary depending on the depth and density of the fluid.

What factors affect lateral pressure on tank walls?

The lateral pressure on tank walls is affected by the density and depth of the fluid, as well as the shape and size of the tank. The type of material the tank is made of and any external forces, such as wind or seismic activity, can also affect lateral pressure.

How is lateral pressure on tank walls calculated?

Lateral pressure on tank walls can be calculated using the formula P = 0.5 x ρ x g x h^2, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the fluid.

Why is lateral pressure on tank walls important to consider?

Lateral pressure on tank walls is important to consider because it can affect the structural integrity of the tank. If the pressure exceeds the tank's design capacity, it can lead to damage or failure of the tank, causing potential hazards and financial losses.

How can lateral pressure on tank walls be reduced?

Lateral pressure on tank walls can be reduced by using proper tank design and construction techniques. This includes selecting appropriate materials, considering the depth and density of the fluid, and incorporating reinforcement and support systems. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and address any potential issues with lateral pressure.