Troubleshooting DSL Modem Connection Issues

In summary, the conversation is about a DSL modem connected to two PCs, with one PC sharing internet with the other. The first PC works fine, but the second PC is experiencing problems such as disconnection from Messenger every 50 seconds and difficulty accessing certain websites. The issue may be related to the use of MSN Messenger 6.1, but the problem is eventually fixed when it is discovered that the IP addresses were in conflict with a LAN card. The conversation ends with the participants expressing gratitude and making new friends.
expscv
i have a dsl modem connect to pc 1 via Ethernet lan1 and pc 2 is connect to pc 1 via etherent lan2 and sharing internet. pc 1 works fine but pc 2 experienced problems like
Messenger service auto disconnect every 50 sec . can not browser some site such as Microsoft.com any suggestion thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
expscv said:
i have a dsl modem connect to pc 1 via Ethernet lan1 and pc 2 is connect to pc 1 via etherent lan2 and sharing internet. pc 1 works fine but pc 2 experienced problems like
Messenger service auto disconnect every 50 sec . can not browser some site such as Microsoft.com any suggestion thanks
What messenger are you using ?
Did you change some of its options in its properties ?

Anotherpossibility is that you may not be allowed to keep using it to send messages to different people anymore... :smile:

I think messenger is actually not that necessary, if you want to search the net, just search on what you look for with search engine...

Last edited:
umm yeah but i can't even surf the net now, i m using pc1 surfing now. pc 2 just not response.

Vance said:
What messenger are you using ?
Did you change some of its options in its properties ?

Anotherpossibility is that you may not be allowed to keep using it to send messages to different people anymore... :smile:

I think messenger is actually not that necessary, if you want to search the net, just search on what you look for with search engine...

i mean MSN Messenger 6.1 doesn't matter wat property it just disconnect every 50 sec the only site i could go is google.com!

hey thanks vance it's fixed don't worry abt it. =D

expscv said:
hey thanks vance it's fixed don't worry abt it. =D
You are welcome, Your problem is fixed ?

Okay, I think you are also a friend of mine, what you said in many posts of mine was really nice, I like them, true ! If you have any problems, I will try my best to post anything that comes to my mind, I hope that wouldn't be any annoyance to you and what you are intending to do...Please don't worry, as promised, i won't go back home using the old way ...:)

=P wow many thanks

Great forum with great people hey I got a new friend =D

it's been fixed , my ip addresses was in conflict with a lan card. stupid me :)

expscv said:
=P wow many thanks

Great forum with great people hey I got a new friend =D

it's been fixed , my ip addresses was in conflict with a lan card. stupid me :)
...sigh...again...

What are common causes of DSL modem connection issues?

There are several potential causes for DSL modem connection issues, including faulty hardware, incorrect settings, line interference, and outages in your area. It's important to troubleshoot these potential causes one by one to determine the root of the problem.

How can I check if my DSL modem is functioning properly?

To check if your DSL modem is functioning correctly, you can first try resetting the modem by unplugging it from the power source and plugging it back in after a few seconds. You can also check the lights on the modem to see if they are displaying any error codes. Additionally, you can connect your computer directly to the modem with an Ethernet cable to see if you can access the internet.

What should I do if my DSL modem is not connecting to the internet?

If your DSL modem is not connecting to the internet, first try resetting the modem and checking the cables. If that doesn't work, you can try accessing the modem's settings to make sure the correct login information is entered. You may also need to contact your internet service provider to ensure there are no outages in your area or issues with your account.

Why is my DSL modem connection speed slow?

There are several reasons why your DSL modem connection speed may be slow, including outdated modem firmware, line interference, or heavy network traffic. You can try updating your modem's firmware, disconnecting other devices from your network, or contacting your ISP to see if there are any known issues in your area.

How can I improve my DSL modem connection speed and stability?

To improve your DSL modem connection speed and stability, you can try relocating the modem to a central location in your home, using a microfilter to reduce line interference, or upgrading to a newer and faster modem model. You can also consider switching to a different internet service provider that offers better speeds and reliability in your area.