Is this right ? (Simple connections question)

• Thread starter nameta9
  • Start date
In summary: PPPIn summary, you create a new connection on your local PC that accepts incoming calls and a guest user. The local PC will ring when someone calls, and you can pick up the phone. The remote PC will come up with a login screen asking for your guest username and password. Once you log in, you will see the same applications on the remote PC as if you were looking at it through the local PC's monitor.
nameta9
I want to try to connect to my local PC from a remote location through the telephone. So on the local PC, I go about creating a new connection (Windows XP) that accepts "incoming calls" and a given guest user that I will be when I call from the remote site. It seems to work somewhat (I hear the modem work when I call the phone number to which my local PC is connected to after I pick up the phone) but I don't undestand:

1) When the phone rings at the local PC and I pick it up, is the local PC ready to negotiate with the remote one ?

1) will I be given a kind of login screen on the remote PC when I dial into enter my guest username and password, or from the remote machine do I dial in normally as I would do with any internet service provider only with my local phone number used?

2) what applications will pop up on the remote PC after I log in ?

This is a bit confusing, because it is not well explained on the internet

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you are using Windows XP, why not look into the Remote Desktop Connection. It's under Accessories...Communication. I use it every day to access an offsite PC to collect data. When the new window pops up, I see exactly what you would see looking at the other PC's monitor. It is no different.

I will look into that. What I still don't get is:

1) When the phone rings at the local PC and I pick it up, is the local PC ready to negotiate with the remote one ?

2) what applications will pop up on the remote PC after I log in ?

Since I am using "remote connection" from remote PC to the local PC telephone number like any internet access, I guess that is where I enter username and password, so this question seems clear. Thanks for any answers!

The negotiation depends on the protocol you opt to use... over PSTN (analogue phone lines) you can use PPTP (M$ implementation)...

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/ProductInfo/faqs/PPTPfaq.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing's going to pop up unless the local machine is running some kind of host software to make something pop up.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection has no provision for the host machine to be connected through a modem. The remote machine has to log in by IP address over the internet, not by dialing into a modem. And I think the same applies to PPTP.

Symantec pcAnywhere will do this for you. Unfortunately it's not cheap. Here's a link to their manual. Look at page 54:
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/pcanywhere/11.5/manuals/pcauser.pdf

Last edited:
gnome said:
Nothing's going to pop up unless the local machine is running some kind of host software to make something pop up.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection has no provision for the host machine to be connected through a modem. The remote machine has to log in by IP address over the internet, not by dialing into a modem. And I think the same applies to PPTP.

That is a good point. I didn't think about that. All of our computers are in one way hooked up to our LAN. I'll have to check on that.

Instead of using a dialup service to your computer, I would instead leave it online and install either a VNC or SSHD service on your home computer, and when you go some place else you can just go online via AOL or some free internet service providers - and simply use program like PuTTY to securely SSH login to your home computer, using encryption, or use VNC to 'see' the desktop

Thanks for your suggestions! I want to just connect the 2 PCs through dial up modem. The simplest possible connection and the Microsoft connection wizards seem to give me everything I need. I just need to transfer files between them. Could I use Hyperterminal or see the remote PC through internet explorer ?

I tried an even simpler solution with an FTP server on the local PC, so I could transfer files through ftp when I am on the internet, but the service providers have firewalls that prevent internet users to access my IP address. I don't know why they don't allow outside users to ftp to my machine...

And I think the same applies to PPTP.

PPTP works over ISDN and PSTN and has nothing to do with IP... PPP protocols do not need IP, this is why when using OSPF between 2 serially connected Routers you don't need to issue IP addresses on the INT's directly connected, It's called IP unnumbered and is used to conserve IP addresses.

Related to Is this right ? (Simple connections question)

1. Is it possible to connect two objects using a simple connection?

Yes, it is possible to connect two objects using a simple connection. A simple connection is a direct link between two objects where no additional components or mechanisms are needed.

2. What are the benefits of using simple connections?

Simple connections are easy to understand and implement, require minimal maintenance, and are cost-effective. They also have a lower chance of failure compared to complex connections.

3. Can simple connections be used for all types of objects?

No, simple connections may not be suitable for all types of objects. It depends on the strength and stability required for the connection. Some objects may require more complex connections to ensure safety and stability.

4. How do I determine if a simple connection is strong enough for my project?

The strength of a simple connection depends on factors such as the materials used, the type of load it will be subjected to, and the environment it will be in. It is important to consult with an expert or conduct thorough testing to determine the strength of a simple connection for your specific project.

5. What are some common types of simple connections used in engineering?

Some common types of simple connections include bolted connections, riveted connections, welded connections, and adhesive connections. The type of connection used depends on the type of objects being connected and the requirements for strength and stability.