Last nights total Lunar eclipse

In summary, the conversation discusses the moon's apparent size changing due to its varying distance from Earth, its orbital speed changing while its rotational speed remains constant causing librations, and its tilted axis causing its poles to nod back and forth. The conversation also mentions an animation created to show the moon's dance and its phases being excluded for emphasis. The animation was created using a 3D computer model and the conversation also includes a link to the animation.
Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Last nights total Lunar eclipse was probably the first time a great many people even paid any attention to our natural satellite for quite a while. It's kind of taken for granted. After all, except for the passing phases, it usually doesn't change. Its the same face staring at us night after night.

But did you know that the Moon does a little dance for us every month? All brought us by the eccentricity of its orbit.

First, the Moon's distance changes, and thus it's apparent size changes. Not very much but enough to notice if you compare pictures taken at perigee and apogee.

Then there's the fact that the Moon's orbital speed changes over its orbit, while its rotational speed remains the same. This causes one of the moon's librations, in which it seems to rock back and forth on its axis, thus affording us a peek around its limb.

The Moon's axis is also tilted slighty to its orbital plane, causing its North and South poles to nod back and forth to us.

Granted, it is a very sedate dance, taking some 27.3 days to complete a cycle. This is why I cobbled up this little animation, to allow us to enjoy this Moondance at a little quicker pace. In it, I decided to leave out the Moon's phases and keep the spotlight on the moon, so to say, so her dance could be seen in its full glory. I hope you enjoy it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/moondance.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Very cute. Is that to scale? Where did you obtain the image data?

thank you about this information

I like this information

the Moon's orbital speed changes >> size changes >> orbital speed changes = the moon dances

cesiumfrog said:
Very cute. Is that to scale? Where did you obtain the image data?

If by "to scale" you mean is the apparent size change and rotation accurate, then yes.

The animation was created using a 3D computer model (a Ray-tracing program). The surface features of the Moon where image-mapped onto a sphere. Then I used orbital mechanics equations to cause the sphere to trace out the Moons orbit, while the program's "camera" tracked the Moon from the orbit's focus.

By altering the parameters, I could generate an animation that would show how the Moon would appear with diffrent axial tilts, eccentricies or rotation rates, or, by changing the position of the program's "light source", I could have included the Moon's phases.

Janus said:
Last nights total Lunar eclipse was probably the first time a great many people even paid any attention to our natural satellite for quite a while. It's kind of taken for granted.

This is why I cobbled up this little animation, to allow us to enjoy this Moondance at a little quicker pace. In it, I decided to leave out the Moon's phases and keep the spotlight on the moon, so to say, so her dance could be seen in its full glory. I hope you enjoy it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/moondance.gif

[/quote]

Is THAT what the moon looks like? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a lunar eclipse?

A lunar eclipse occurs when the Earth passes between the Sun and the Moon, casting a shadow on the Moon and causing it to appear darkened or reddish in color.

Why is it called a "total" lunar eclipse?

A total lunar eclipse is when the Moon is completely covered by the Earth's shadow, also known as the umbra. This results in the Moon appearing a deep red color, also known as a blood moon.

When did the last total lunar eclipse occur?

The last total lunar eclipse occurred on May 26, 2021. It was visible in parts of Asia, Australia, North America, South America, and the Pacific.

Why do lunar eclipses not occur every month?

Lunar eclipses do not occur every month because the Moon's orbit around the Earth is tilted, causing it to pass above or below the Earth's shadow most of the time. It is only when the Moon's orbit aligns with the Earth and Sun that a lunar eclipse can occur.

What are the potential impacts of a lunar eclipse on Earth?

There are no direct impacts of a lunar eclipse on Earth. However, some cultures and religions have associated it with various superstitious beliefs and predictions. From a scientific standpoint, lunar eclipses provide valuable opportunities for researchers to study the Earth's atmosphere and the Moon's surface temperature and composition.