Witness a Rare Celestial Event: Total Solar and Lunar Eclipses

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lunar Solar
In summary, those of you living on the moon will see a rare sight tonight, a total solar eclipse. Not coincidentally, the entire US, and very little where else will see a total lunar eclipse. This will be one to tell your grandchildren about since there won't be another until June 15, 2011. Don't look directly at the eclipse. Instead, poke a pinhole in a piece of paper, hold it up and look at the shadow. Don't look at the shadow until it is completely invisible. Then imagine what it would look like if only you could see it. Depending on your imaginative powers, it should be quite spectacular. And - for the first time in 372 years, a total lunar eclipse falls on the winter solstice
Jimmy Snyder
Those of you living on the moon will see a rare sight tonight, a total solar eclipse. Not coincidentally, the entire US, and very little where else will see a total lunar eclipse. This will be one to tell your grandchildren about since there won't be another until June 15, 2011. Don't look directly at the eclipse. Instead, poke a pinhole in a piece of paper, hold it up and look at the shadow. Don't look at the shadow until it is completely invisible. Then imagine what it would look like if only you could see it. Depending on your imaginative powers, it should be quite spectacular.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
And - for the first time in 372 years, a total lunar eclipse falls on the winter solstice. It last happened in 1638.

Total lunar eclipse.
Science types do like genius Jimmy said and all that.
Mystical types actually sleep "through" them:
Sefer Yetzirah chapter 6.

Weathers always cloudy here, probably won't see it, but keeping an eye on the weather.

Jimmy Snyder said:
the entire US, and very little where else

Nice to know that your larger neighbor to the North is "very little where else".

We don't have a moon in Oregon.

NeoDevin said:
Nice to know that your larger neighbor to the North is "very little where else".
Oops, I meant North America, but wrote US. Must be my inner chauvinist.

Sleep well tonight Jimmy. :wink:

I'd love to see it, but it's snowing here, and not looking to stop snytime soon. Those of you who can, enjoy!

It was fairly clear here earlier tonight, but now it's clouding over. :frown:

Through the thin spots in the clouds I think I can see the eclipse has begun.

jtbell said:
It was fairly clear here earlier tonight, but now it's clouding over. :frown:

Through the thin spots in the clouds I think I can see the eclipse has begun.

That's pretty cool, since it doesn't start for another 3 minutes or so.

It began here recently:
Michigan, N of Detroit

5wf3nn.jpg

Moon's almost all the way gone here

Last edited:
Yup moons basically in a total eclipse right now. Went out to see it at various stages, was pretty cool. My little brother is absolutely amazed by it.

The colors on the moon are pretty cool.

Looking at it right now. It's rather bizarre looking. I don't remember it looking as remarkable as it does now. It's almost creepy... haha. I've seen one before but I don't remember there being red on one of the lunar hemispheres. Is the red color do to some type of atmospheric filtering of light or because of the point of view one is seeing the lunar eclipse?

Amazingly, the clouds have parted here. There are clouds down towards the horizon in all directions, but a broad swathe of clear sky overhead, with the dull-red moon clearly visible. Impressive!

czelaya said:
Is the red color do to some type of atmospheric filtering of light ?
Yes. From the moon, you can see a red ring around the earth, that is all of the sunsets around the world. The red from the sunsets lights up the moon.

Visible from northern U.K. Never knew anything about it until I was walking into work this morning and it was near totality. Looked wonderful.

[PLAIN]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs907.snc4/72090_474714533762_521058762_5910034_8327130_n.jpg

The last one we could take before it totally clouded over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
We don't have a moon in Oregon.

It's that thing which sometimes casts tiny bits of light through the branches on days which are less cloudy.

Oh, wait... That's the Sun.

For those of us in the UK. On the 4th of January at 8.20am we will experience a 60% solar eclipse. Last seen in London around 11 years ago.

MikeeMiracle said:
For those of us in the UK. On the 4th of January at 8.20am we will experience a 60% solar eclipse. Last seen in London around 11 years ago.

To be fair, it's going to be visible over virtually all of Europe and the Arabian Peninsula as well, and we have people from all over at PF.

nismaratwork said:
To be fair, it's going to be visible over virtually all of Europe and the Arabian Peninsula as well, and we have people from all over at PF.

I stand corrected, I heard this on a UK astronomy program and was unaware how far it could be seen from.

Here is a time lapse of the eclipse for those who could not view it due to weather (myself included). It has some wonderful cello music to go along with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhZWIgUUPZ8

I did not make this video btw. Just really liked it and thought I would share.

MikeeMiracle said:
I stand corrected, I heard this on a UK astronomy program and was unaware how far it could be seen from.

Oh, it wasn't meant to be a correction, just some additional info.

Saladsamurai: Thanks!

1. What causes a total solar or lunar eclipse?

A total solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes directly between the sun and the Earth, casting a shadow on the Earth's surface. A lunar eclipse occurs when the Earth passes between the sun and the moon, casting a shadow on the moon.

2. How often do total solar and lunar eclipses occur?

Total solar eclipses occur roughly every 18 months, but they are only visible in certain areas of the Earth. Lunar eclipses are more common, occurring on average twice a year.

3. Are total solar and lunar eclipses dangerous to witness?

It is not safe to look directly at a total solar eclipse as it can cause permanent damage to the eyes. However, it is safe to view a total lunar eclipse with the naked eye.

4. What is the best way to observe a total solar or lunar eclipse?

The best way to observe a total solar or lunar eclipse is by using special eclipse glasses or filters. These can be purchased from reputable sources and will protect your eyes from harmful rays.

5. What can scientists learn from studying total solar and lunar eclipses?

Scientists can learn a lot about the Earth, moon, and sun by studying total solar and lunar eclipses. They can gather data on the Earth's atmosphere, the moon's surface, and the sun's corona, among other things.