Last chance to change my major. Advise?

In summary, the speaker is a 24-year-old with an Associate's degree in math and a 3.0 GPA. They have been accepted into Virginia Tech's physics program for August classes and express a passion for the subject. They also mention their talent for programming, but feel that their time spent with computers has been misused. The speaker is hesitant about committing to a career in physics due to concerns about job opportunities and the potential for being stuck in teaching. They also mention considering statistics as a potential career path. The speaker expresses confusion about their future and welcomes any advice or replies.
tolove
I'm 24 with an AS (math, 3.0GPA), and currently accepted into VT for physics for August classes. I'm little older than most students I'd imagine.

This Friday is the last day they will accept a change in major.

I'm rather fond of physics. It's a puzzle with no end. It's fun, and the time I've spent studying physics feels like time well spent. Physics feels meaningful to me. If you were to ask me what my most passionate drive is, it would be something human. But I've tried, and I know I can't be a social or healthcare worker. The stress from seeing other people's pain every day would break me as a person. If you were to ask me what I'm most talented at, it would be programming. I grew up with computers, and coding comes second nature to me. Unlike physics, however, I feel as if my life was misused when I look back at my time with computers. The thought of coding through migraines, typing with carpel tunnel later in life, progressively worsening vision, and.. and just I don't care to learn the nuances of every new software update that's going to be released in my life. I'd like to be able to stop caring about those things. I'm aware that physics, at higher levels, also involves coding, but it's at least not all day every day, right?

Initially, I was gung-ho about physics. Concepts of light and black holes baffled me since I was a child. Reading these forums broke me a little bit. Knowing that there's probably no chance for a career in physics outside teaching is an unpleasant thought. I'm fine with teaching, I think. I've tutored before and liked it. It's just, if I don't change my major this Friday, does that mean I'm declaring myself a teacher for the rest of my life? I know there are more options. It's still a spooky thought, though. Doors closing in great numbers. I think this is me starting to feel old.

Even if I change my major, I can't really think of a career that I would like more than teaching.

Life is confusing. I don't really have any straight forward questions to ask in this post, it seems. I will read and be grateful for any replies or advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about statistics? Results in a broad variety of jobs. Can have (though doesn't always) a meaningful impact on policy, public discussion, and business choices. It can be a social job, but you'll spend very little time around sick, hurt people.

But, another question - does VT stand for Virginia Tech? Cause then ignore my post. I'm not sure what majors are worth getting from there.

Almost an aside, but I agree with you about programming. I don't ever want to be a programmer. However, I love donig some programming (just a little) in my job. Consider looking for business jobs that require some technical skills.

Finally, your comment about doors closing. . . maybe they are, but there's still tons of time to open them if you want. I made a radical career change when I was 8 years older than you. I might well do it again in another decade. Keep an open mind.

Related to Last chance to change my major. Advise?

1. Can I change my major multiple times?

Generally, most universities allow students to change their major at least once during their undergraduate studies. However, it is important to consider the potential consequences, such as needing to complete additional coursework or potentially delaying graduation.

2. How do I decide if changing my major is the right decision?

Before making a decision, it is important to thoroughly research and understand the requirements and expectations of your intended major. You may also want to speak with academic advisors and current students in the program to gain insight and determine if it aligns with your interests and goals.

3. Will changing my major affect my financial aid or scholarships?

In some cases, changing your major may impact your financial aid or scholarships. For example, if your new major requires more credit hours, you may need to take out additional loans. It is important to consult with your financial aid office to understand any potential changes to your funding.

4. How will changing my major impact my graduation timeline?

Changing your major may result in needing to complete additional coursework, which can potentially delay your graduation. It is important to speak with academic advisors to create a plan that allows you to complete your degree in a timely manner.

5. Are there any resources available to help me with the process of changing my major?

Yes, most universities have resources such as academic advisors, career centers, and peer mentors who can assist you with the process of changing your major. Additionally, there may be workshops or informational sessions specifically geared towards students considering a change in major.