Laplace's Equation in Cylindrical Coordinates (Potential)

In summary, the problem involves finding the potential function u(r,ϕ,z) for a hollow cylinder with a null potential on the base and sides and a potential of u0 on the lid. Using Laplace's equation in cylindrical coordinates and the given boundary conditions, the function is found to be a solution of the Bessel equation. The boundary conditions also impose constraints on the values of k and m, and require the potential to be single-valued along the cylinder. The final solution will involve Bessel functions and the constants A and B, which can be determined by applying the boundary conditions to the general solution.
V0ODO0CH1LD

Homework Statement

A hollow cylinder with radius ##a## and height ##L## has its base and sides kept at a null potential and the lid on top kept at a potential ##u_0##. Find ##u(r,\phi,z)##.

Homework Equations

Laplace's equation in cylindrical coordinates:
[tex] \nabla^2u=\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{}r}\left(r\frac{\partial{}u}{\partial{}r}\right)+\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial\phi^2}+\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial{}z^2}=0 [/tex]
Boundary conditions (specific to this problem):
[tex]\begin{eqnarray}
u(r,\phi,0)=0\text{ for }0≤r≤a \\
u(a,\phi,z)=0\text{ for }0≤z≤L \\
u(r,\phi,L)=u_0\text{ for }0≤r≤a
\end{eqnarray}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

After substituting ##u=R(r)\Phi(\phi)Z(z)## and dividing the equation by ##R(r)\Phi(\phi)Z(z)## we get
[tex] \frac{1}{rR(r)}\frac{d}{dr}(rR'(r))+\frac{1}{r^2\Phi(\phi)}\Phi''(\phi)+\frac{1}{Z(z)}Z''(z)=0. [/tex]
Since the ##z## term is isolated we can set it to a constant ##k^2## to get ##Z(z)=Ae^{kz}+Be^{−kz}##. Then we multiply through by ##r^2## and isolate the ##\phi## term and set it to a constant ##-m^2## to get ##\Phi(\phi)=C\cos(m\phi)+D\sin(m\phi)##. The original equation now looks like
[tex] \frac{r}{R(r)}\frac{d}{dr}(rR'(r))-m^2+(rk)^2=r\frac{d}{dr}(rR'(r))+[(rk)^2-m^2]R(r)=0, [/tex]
where we can substitute ##y=rk## to get
[tex] y^2R''(y)+yR'(y)+[y^2-m^2]R(r)=0, [/tex]
the Bessel equation.

How do I use the boundary conditions to move forward from here? What does the format of the answer I am looking for looks like?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
V0ODO0CH1LD said:

Homework Statement

A hollow cylinder with radius ##a## and height ##L## has its base and sides kept at a null potential and the lid on top kept at a potential ##u_0##. Find ##u(r,\phi,z)##.

Homework Equations

Laplace's equation in cylindrical coordinates:
[tex] \nabla^2u=\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial{}r}\left(r\frac{\partial{}u}{\partial{}r}\right)+\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial\phi^2}+\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial{}z^2}=0 [/tex]
Boundary conditions (specific to this problem):
[tex]\begin{eqnarray}
u(r,\phi,0)=0\text{ for }0≤r≤a \\
u(a,\phi,z)=0\text{ for }0≤z≤L \\
u(r,\phi,L)=0\text{ for }0≤r≤a
\end{eqnarray}[/tex]
The last one should be equal to ##u_0##, not 0.

You should also have ##u(r,\phi,z) = u(r,\phi+2\pi,z)## because you want u to be single-valued. This imposes a constraint on the allowed values of ##m##.

The Attempt at a Solution

After substituting ##u=R(r)\Phi(\phi)Z(z)## and dividing the equation by ##R(r)\Phi(\phi)Z(z)## we get
[tex] \frac{1}{rR(r)}\frac{d}{dr}(rR'(r))+\frac{1}{r^2\Phi(\phi)}\Phi''(\phi)+\frac{1}{Z(z)}Z''(z)=0. [/tex]
Since the ##z## term is isolated we can set it to a constant ##k^2## to get ##Z(z)=Ae^{kz}+Be^{−kz}##. Then we multiply through by ##r^2## and isolate the ##\phi## term and set it to a constant ##-m^2## to get ##\Phi(\phi)=C\cos(m\phi)+D\sin(m\phi)##. The original equation now looks like
[tex] \frac{r}{R(r)}\frac{d}{dr}(rR'(r))-m^2+(rk)^2=r\frac{d}{dr}(rR'(r))+[(rk)^2-m^2]R(r)=0, [/tex]
where we can substitute ##y=rk## to get
[tex] y^2R''(y)+yR'(y)+[y^2-m^2]R(r)=0, [/tex]
the Bessel equation.

How do I use the boundary conditions to move forward from here? What does the format of the answer I am looking for looks like?
Take the condition that the base is held at 0. That requires Z(0)=0 since it has to hold for all values of ##r## and ##\phi##. What does this tell you about A and B?

Take the condition that the side is held at 0. The requires that R(a)=0. What can you infer from this about the allowed values of ##k##?

vela said:
The last one should be equal to ##u_0##, not 0.
Thanks! Already fixed the typo.
vela said:
You should also have ##u(r,\phi,z) = u(r,\phi+2\pi,z)## because you want u to be single-valued. This imposes a constraint on the allowed values of ##m##.
Could you expand on that?
vela said:
Take the condition that the base is held at 0. That requires Z(0)=0 since it has to hold for all values of ##r## and ##\phi##. What does this tell you about A and B?

Take the condition that the side is held at 0. The requires that R(a)=0. What can you infer from this about the allowed values of ##k##?
The condition ##Z(0)=0## implies that ##A=-B##, right?. Do I use ##R(a)=0## before ##Z(L)=u_0##? And does that mean that I would have to solve Bessel's equation to completely solve this problem?

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
Could you expand on that?
If you increase ##\phi## by ##2\pi##, you've gone around the cylinder once and end up back in the same spot. You can't have two different values of ##u## for the same point.

The condition ##Z(0)=0## implies that ##A=-B##, right?
Yes, so ##Z(z) = A(e^{kr}-e^{-kr}) = A'\sinh kr##.

Do I use ##R(a)=0## before ##Z(L)=u_0##?
You can't say that ##Z(L)=u_0##. You can only say ##u(r,\phi,L)=u_0##.

And does that mean that I would have to solve Bessel's equation to completely solve this problem?
I'd expect you can just say that each R is a Bessel function without having to derive that result over again.

vela said:
If you increase ##\phi## by ##2\pi##, you've gone around the cylinder once and end up back in the same spot. You can't have two different values of ##u## for the same point.Yes, so ##Z(z) = A(e^{kr}-e^{-kr}) = A'\sinh kr##.You can't say that ##Z(L)=u_0##. You can only say ##u(r,\phi,L)=u_0##.I'd expect you can just say that each R is a Bessel function without having to derive that result over again.
I don't see how I am supposed to use ##R(a)=0## to move forward.. What am I supposed to be doing at this point?

What are the solutions for ##R## in terms of the constants ##m## and ##k##?

I still don't see what the next step is.. How do I keep solving the problem from here?
vela said:
What are the solutions for ##R## in terms of the constants ##m## and ##k##?
I'm not sure.. Are you talking about
[tex] R(r)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty{}b_n(rk)^{n+m}, [/tex]
the solution for the Bessel equation? Which would mean that
[tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty{}b_n(ak)^{n+m}=0. [/tex]
Is that what I am supposed to do? Where do I go from here?

I don't understand where you got that expression for R from.

vela said:
I don't understand where you got that expression for R from.
I used the Frobenius method on ##R##, which gives the answer as a power series of that form. But I honestly don't know what the next step is, after I found ##Z(z)=A(e^{kz}-e^{-kz})## I don't know what to do.

At this point, I think you need to go over a similar example in your textbook and get an understanding of the logic behind each step.

Related to Laplace's Equation in Cylindrical Coordinates (Potential)

What is Laplace's Equation in Cylindrical Coordinates (Potential)?

Laplace's Equation in Cylindrical Coordinates (Potential) is a mathematical formula used to describe the potential (electric or gravitational) in a cylindrical coordinate system. It is a second-order partial differential equation that relates the second derivatives of the potential to each coordinate.

What are the applications of Laplace's Equation in Cylindrical Coordinates (Potential)?

Laplace's Equation in Cylindrical Coordinates (Potential) has numerous applications in physics and engineering, including electrostatics, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer. It is also used in solving boundary value problems and finding the equilibrium shapes of objects.

How do you solve Laplace's Equation in Cylindrical Coordinates (Potential)?

There are several methods for solving Laplace's Equation in Cylindrical Coordinates (Potential), including separation of variables, the method of images, and the method of Green's functions. These methods involve breaking down the equation into simpler components and using mathematical techniques to find a solution.

What are the boundary conditions for Laplace's Equation in Cylindrical Coordinates (Potential)?

Boundary conditions for Laplace's Equation in Cylindrical Coordinates (Potential) refer to the values of the potential at the boundaries of the coordinate system. These boundary conditions must be specified in order to solve the equation and may include fixed values, known functions, or symmetry conditions.

What is the significance of Laplace's Equation in Cylindrical Coordinates (Potential)?

Laplace's Equation in Cylindrical Coordinates (Potential) is significant because it is a fundamental equation in many areas of physics and engineering. It allows for the calculation of potential in complex systems and is a key tool in understanding the behavior of electric and gravitational fields. It also has practical applications in designing and analyzing various systems and structures.