Laplace Transforms with IVP and linear first ODE

In summary, the given conversation is about solving a differential equation using Laplace formulas and finding the integrating factor. After plugging in the known formulas, the equation is simplified to a linear first-order DE. The next step is to find the integrating factor, which is done by integrating P(s) = [(s^2-2)/-s]. Although there is an error in the equation provided, the correct approach is to divide each term by s and integrate them separately.
Lee49645

Homework Statement

y'' + ty' - y = 0

plugging in the known Laplace formuals i get this...
[s^2Y(s) - sy(0) - y'(0)] + [-sY'(s) - Y(s)] - Y(s) = 0

Homework Equations

y(0) = 0
y'(0) = 3

The Attempt at a Solution

simplying to a linear first order DE
-sY'(s) + (s^2-2)Y(s) = 3

Y'(s) + [(s^2-2)/-s]Y(s) = 3

now, according to my textbook "P(x)" = [(s^2-2)/-s], and i need to find the integrating factor by integrating P(x)

use e^(p(x)) then etc.

the problem I am having is how to approach integrating p(x). i tried dividing each term by s and integrating them separately but plugging them into e causes hectic problems.

is there a different way to approach this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lee49645 said:

Homework Statement

y'' + ty' - y = 0

plugging in the known Laplace formuals i get this...
[s^2Y(s) - sy(0) - y'(0)] + [-sY'(s) - Y(s)] - Y(s) = 0

I think you have an extra [itex]-Y(s)[/itex] in here.

now, according to my textbook "P(x)" = [(s^2-2)/-s], and i need to find the integrating factor by integrating P(x)

Ermm...you mean [itex]P(s)[/itex] right?:wink:

i tried dividing each term by s and integrating them separately but plugging them into e causes hectic problems.

That's the correct approach...what do you get when you do this (after correcting your 1st error)?

Related to Laplace Transforms with IVP and linear first ODE

1. What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of frequency. It is commonly used in the field of engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems in the frequency domain.

2. What is an initial value problem (IVP)?

An initial value problem is a type of differential equation that requires the value of the function at a specific point in time to be known in order to find its solution. In other words, it involves solving for the function and its derivatives at a given initial condition.

3. How are Laplace transforms used to solve IVPs?

Laplace transforms can be used to solve IVPs by converting the differential equation into an algebraic equation in the frequency domain. This makes it easier to solve for the function and its derivatives, and then the inverse Laplace transform is applied to obtain the solution in the time domain.

4. What is a linear first-order differential equation?

A linear first-order differential equation is a type of differential equation that can be written in the form of y' + p(t)y = g(t), where p(t) and g(t) are functions of t. The solution to this equation can be obtained using the Laplace transform method.

5. What are some applications of Laplace transforms with IVPs and linear first-order ODEs?

Laplace transforms with IVPs and linear first-order ODEs have many applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are used to analyze systems that involve electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and chemical reactions. They can also be applied in signal processing, control systems, and heat transfer problems.