Laplace Transform, what am I doing wrong?

In summary: Or even better, use the formula for the first derivative.(sF(s) - f(0)) / s + 2F(s)/s = 2/s + 3F(s)Take the inverse Laplace transform of both sides.
raytrace

Homework Statement

Solve using the Laplace Transforms (can not use partial fractions)

f '(t) + [tex]\int2f(u) du[/tex] = 2 + 3f(t)

Homework Equations

Using Laplace

f '(t) gets replaced with sF(s) -f(0)

[tex]\int2f(u) du[/tex] gets replaced with [tex]\frac{2F(s)}{s}[/tex]

Please correct me if I'm wrong on the replacements here.

The Attempt at a Solution

After using Laplace on both sides I get

[tex]sF(s)-f(0)+\frac{2F(s)}{s} = \frac{2}{s} + 3F(s)[\tex]

[tex]sF(s)-3F(s)+\frac{2F(s)}{s} = \frac{2}{s} + f(0)[\tex]

[tex]F(S)(s-3+\frac{2}{s}) = \frac{2}{s} + f(0)[\tex]

Divide through and manipulate a little to get:

[tex]F(S) = \frac{2}{(s-2)(s-1)} + f(0)\frac{s}{(s-2)(s-1)}[\tex]

OK, here is where I get stuck. The first half I can figure out, it's the s/((s-2)(s-1)) that I can't figure out. I did find a transform in the Laplace tables in the back of the book but this particular transform was not on the list of approved transforms we could use freely (without proving).

So, I've either screwed up in my math here somewhere's or I have to prove the Inverse Laplace Transform of s/((s-2)(s-1)). Now someone mentioned using the L'Hopitals rule on it but I don't see how.

I'm completely at a loss. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fixed your tex tags. You have the closing tex tag wrong -- [ \tex] instead of [ /tex]
raytrace said:

Homework Statement

Solve using the Laplace Transforms (can not use partial fractions)

f '(t) + [tex]\int2f(u) du[/tex] = 2 + 3f(t)

Homework Equations

Using Laplace

f '(t) gets replaced with sF(s) -f(0)

[tex]\int2f(u) du[/tex] gets replaced with [tex]\frac{2F(s)}{s}[/tex]

Please correct me if I'm wrong on the replacements here.

The Attempt at a Solution

After using Laplace on both sides I get

[tex]sF(s)-f(0)+\frac{2F(s)}{s} = \frac{2}{s} + 3F(s)[/tex]

[tex]sF(s)-3F(s)+\frac{2F(s)}{s} = \frac{2}{s} + f(0)[/tex]

[tex]F(S)(s-3+\frac{2}{s}) = \frac{2}{s} + f(0)[/tex]

Divide through and manipulate a little to get:

[tex]F(S) = \frac{2}{(s-2)(s-1)} + f(0)\frac{s}{(s-2)(s-1)}[/tex]

OK, here is where I get stuck. The first half I can figure out, it's the s/((s-2)(s-1)) that I can't figure out. I did find a transform in the Laplace tables in the back of the book but this particular transform was not on the list of approved transforms we could use freely (without proving).

So, I've either screwed up in my math here somewhere's or I have to prove the Inverse Laplace Transform of s/((s-2)(s-1)). Now someone mentioned using the L'Hopitals rule on it but I don't see how.

I'm completely at a loss. Please help.

Your work looks fine. I don't get why you can't use partial fractions, and it sounds like maybe you can use this technique. The restriction was to not use "nonapproved" transforms unless you can prove them. For this problem you would be evaluating L-1 {2/((s - 2)(s - 1))} which is exactly the same as evaluating L-1{2/(s -2) + -2/(s -1)}. If you have to prove that 2/((s-2)(s -1)) is identically equal to 2/(s -2) + -2/(s - 1), that's very easy and is a very small price to pay.

Mark44 said:
Fixed your tex tags. You have the closing tex tag wrong -- [ \tex] instead of [ /tex]

Your work looks fine. I don't get why you can't use partial fractions, and it sounds like maybe you can use this technique. The restriction was to not use "nonapproved" transforms unless you can prove them. For this problem you would be evaluating L-1 {2/((s - 2)(s - 1))} which is exactly the same as evaluating L-1{2/(s -2) + -2/(s -1)}. If you have to prove that 2/((s-2)(s -1)) is identically equal to 2/(s -2) + -2/(s - 1), that's very easy and is a very small price to pay.

Sorry for the confusion there.

It's the [tex]L^{-1}\frac{s}{(s-2)(s-1)}[/tex] that I can't figure out.

From the transform table at the back of the book I know it turns into [tex]\frac{ae^{at}-be^{bt}}{a-b}[/tex]

However, I am forbidden to use partial fractions for this part and I can only use the transform in the back if, and only if, I can prove it... which means I have to know how to do the proof from the first to the second... and this is where I'm completely lost.

raytrace said:
Sorry for the confusion there.

It's the [tex]L^{-1}\frac{s}{(s-2)(s-1)}[/tex] that I can't figure out.

From the transform table at the back of the book I know it turns into [tex]\frac{ae^{at}-be^{bt}}{a-b}[/tex]

However, I am forbidden to use partial fractions for this part and I can only use the transform in the back if, and only if, I can prove it... which means I have to know how to do the proof from the first to the second... and this is where I'm completely lost.

Well, unreasonable demands call for unreasonable solutions. You can just compute the Laplace transform of the answer and then show that it yields the correct formula.

Count Iblis said:
Well, unreasonable demands call for unreasonable solutions.
I like your thinking!

You could also multiply by est and sum the residues at s=1 and s=2.

Related to Laplace Transform, what am I doing wrong?

1. What is the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is often used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and study the behavior of systems.

2. How do I perform a Laplace Transform?

To perform a Laplace Transform, you can use the formula: F(s) = ∫0 f(t)e-st dt, where f(t) is the function in the time domain, s is the complex frequency variable, and F(s) is the transformed function in the frequency domain.

3. What are the common mistakes when using Laplace Transform?

Some common mistakes when using Laplace Transform include incorrect application of the formula, not considering the region of convergence, and not handling discontinuities properly. It is important to double check your calculations and make sure the assumptions for using Laplace Transform are satisfied.

4. What are the advantages of using Laplace Transform?

Laplace Transform allows for complex differential equations to be solved in the frequency domain, which can be easier to analyze and manipulate. It also provides a way to study the behavior of systems and determine their stability.

5. How can I practice and improve my understanding of Laplace Transform?

To practice and improve your understanding of Laplace Transform, you can solve various problems and exercises, use online resources and tutorials, and attend workshops or courses. It is also helpful to work with a mentor or consult with colleagues who have experience using Laplace Transform.