Laplace Transform of t*u(t-1): Get Help Now!

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the laplace transform of the function t*u(t-1). The initial belief was that the transform was (1/s^2) * (e^-s), but it was later corrected that t*u(t-1) is not a function of (t-1) and needs to be converted in order to find the proper transform. The conversation then goes on to discuss the steps to take in order to evaluate the integral and obtain the final result of \frac{e^{-s}(s+1)}{s^2}.
xemnas1

Homework Statement

Find the laplace transform of;

t*u(t-1)

I always thought that the laplace transform of the function was;

(1/s^2) * (e^-s)

However, recently I was told that I was wrong!

I was told that I was wrong, because t*u(t-1) is not a function of (t-1). That in order to take the proper laplace transform of it, I needed it to turn it into a function of (t-1).

How can I do that? Can anyone help me find the proper laplace transform of my function, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
okay, this isn't too hard, let's start out with the definition of the laplace transform:

[tex]\int_0^\infty t u(t-1) e^{-st} dt= \int_1^\infty t e^{-st} dt[/tex]

and then you just need to evaluate the integral, which will give you something like:
[tex]\frac{e^{-s}(s+1)}{s^2}[/tex]

Thank you, I did everything and got the same result. :]

Related to Laplace Transform of t*u(t-1): Get Help Now!

What is the Laplace Transform of t*u(t-1)?

The Laplace Transform of t*u(t-1) is a mathematical operation that transforms a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is denoted by L{t*u(t-1)} and is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

How do I calculate the Laplace Transform of t*u(t-1)?

To calculate the Laplace Transform of t*u(t-1), you can use the formula L{t*u(t-1)} = e^-s/s^2, where s is the complex variable in the Laplace domain. You can also use tables of common Laplace transforms or use software such as MATLAB to perform the calculation.

What does t*u(t-1) represent?

t*u(t-1) is a function that is equal to t for t ≥ 1 and equal to 0 for t < 1. It is also known as the unit step function, as it "steps" from 0 to 1 at t = 1. In the context of Laplace transforms, t*u(t-1) represents a system that is off or inactive for t < 1 and turns on or becomes active at t = 1.

How is the Laplace Transform of t*u(t-1) used in real-world applications?

The Laplace Transform of t*u(t-1) has various uses in engineering and physics. It can be used to solve differential equations, analyze systems, and determine the response of a system to different inputs. It is also used in control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis.

What are some common properties of the Laplace Transform of t*u(t-1)?

Some common properties of the Laplace Transform of t*u(t-1) include linearity, time shifting, and s-shifting. Linearity means that the transform of a linear combination of functions is equal to the linear combination of their individual transforms. Time shifting involves adding or subtracting a constant from the variable in the function, while s-shifting involves adding or subtracting a constant from the s variable in the transform.