Laplace Transform of Step Function

In summary, the problem involves solving for y in the given differential equation and boundary conditions. The solution involves using Laplace transforms and partial fraction decomposition. After factoring out the exponential terms, the final form of y is found to be a combination of trigonometric functions and unit step functions.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Solve

y'' + y = f(t), y(0)=0, y'(0)=1,

f(t)=
(0 for 0<t<pi)
(1 for pi<t<2pi)
(0 for t>2pi)

The Attempt at a Solution

y'' + y = upi(t)-u2pi(t)

s2L{y} -sy(0) -y'(0) +L{y} = L{upi(t)} -Lu2pi(t)}

L{y}(s2+1) -1 = (e-pi*s/s) -(e-2pi*s/s)

L{y} = (e-pi*s/s(s2+1)) -(e-2pi*s/s(s2+1)) +1/(s2+1)

This is where I get stuck... I'm assuming that I can factor out the e terms separately, then use decomposition of partial fractions to separate 1/s(s2+1), but when I do that I get meaningless values for A and B.

1/s(s2+1) = A/s + B/s2+1

1= A(s2+1) +Bs

1 = As2 +Bs +A

From that I can infer that A = 1, but also that A=0, and B=0.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The partial fraction expansion should be
$$\frac{1}{s(s^2+1)} = \frac{A}{s} + \frac{Bs+C}{s^2+1}$$ because the second term has a quadratic in the denominator.

Ah, thank you, I think I got it.

y = upi(t) -upi(t)cos(t-pi) -u2pi(t) +u2pi(t)cos(t-2pi) +sin(t)

Related to Laplace Transform of Step Function

What is the Laplace Transform of a Step Function?

The Laplace Transform of a Step Function is a mathematical operation that transforms a piecewise continuous function into a continuous function in the complex plane. It is often used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and study dynamic systems.

What is the Laplace Transform of the Unit Step Function?

The Laplace Transform of the Unit Step Function, also known as the Heaviside Function, is equal to 1/s in the complex plane. This can be derived using the definition of the Laplace Transform and the integral of the Unit Step Function.

What is the Inverse Laplace Transform of the Unit Step Function?

The Inverse Laplace Transform of the Unit Step Function is the Dirac Delta Function, which is defined as 1 for t=0 and 0 for all other values of t. This can be derived using the definition of the Inverse Laplace Transform and the sifting property of the Dirac Delta Function.

How is the Laplace Transform of a Step Function used in engineering?

The Laplace Transform of a Step Function is used in engineering to solve differential equations in the time domain. It allows engineers to analyze the behavior of dynamic systems and predict their response to different inputs. This is particularly useful in control systems and signal processing.

Can the Laplace Transform of a Step Function be used for discontinuous functions?

Yes, the Laplace Transform of a Step Function can be used for discontinuous functions as long as they are piecewise continuous. This means that there are a finite number of discontinuities in the function and they are bounded by a finite number of steps.