Laplace transform of (2s^2 +10s) / ((s^2 -2s +5)(s+1))

Yes, in summary, the conversation discusses a partial fraction problem and the solution provided by the asker, which is confirmed to be correct by the expert. The expert also notes the importance of using proper formatting in math equations.
foo9008

Homework Statement

(2s^2) +10s / (s^2 -2s +5 )(s+1) , I have checked the partial fraction , it's correct , but according to the ans it's (e^t)[(3cos2t + 2.5sin2t)] - (e^-t), but my ans is (e^t)[(3cos2t + 4sin2t)] - (e^-t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

UsCyv8m.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
foo9008 said:

Homework Statement

(2s^2) +10s / (s^2 -2s +5 )(s+1) , I have checked the partial fraction , it's correct , but according to the ans it's (e^t)[(3cos2t + 2.5sin2t)] - (e^-t), but my ans is (e^t)[(3cos2t + 4sin2t)] - (e^-t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

UsCyv8m.jpg

You typed
[tex] 2s^2 +\frac{10s}{(s^2 -2s +5 )(s+1)} [/tex]
If you mean
[tex] \frac{2s^2 + 10s}{(s^2-2s+5)(s+1)},[/tex]
you must either use LaTeX (as I did just now) or else use parentheses, like this:
(2s^2+ 10s)/[(s^2-2s+5)(s+1)]

Anyway, that form gives an inverse Laplace that agrees with your answer.

Ray Vickson said:
You typed
[tex] 2s^2 +\frac{10s}{(s^2 -2s +5 )(s+1)} [/tex]
If you mean
[tex] \frac{2s^2 + 10s}{(s^2-2s+5)(s+1)},[/tex]
you must either use LaTeX (as I did just now) or else use parentheses, like this:
(2s^2+ 10s)/[(s^2-2s+5)(s+1)]

Anyway, that form gives an inverse Laplace that agrees with your answer.
Sorry, I mean the second one. You mean my answer is correct??

foo9008 said:
Sorry, I mean the second one. You mean my answer is correct??

Isn't that what I said?

Related to Laplace transform of (2s^2 +10s) / ((s^2 -2s +5)(s+1))

1. What is the Laplace transform of (2s^2 +10s) / ((s^2 -2s +5)(s+1))?

The Laplace transform of (2s^2 +10s) / ((s^2 -2s +5)(s+1)) is 2/s + 2/s^2 + 2/s^3 + 6/s^4.

2. Why is the Laplace transform of (2s^2 +10s) / ((s^2 -2s +5)(s+1)) important in mathematics?

The Laplace transform is a powerful mathematical tool used to solve differential equations and analyze systems in engineering, physics, and other fields. It allows us to transform a function from the time domain to the frequency domain, making it easier to solve complex problems.

3. Can you explain the steps to find the Laplace transform of (2s^2 +10s) / ((s^2 -2s +5)(s+1))?

1. Use partial fraction decomposition to break the rational function into simpler fractions.2. Apply the Laplace transform to each term separately.3. Use the properties of the Laplace transform to simplify the resulting expressions.4. Combine the terms back together to get the final answer.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Laplace transform on (2s^2 +10s) / ((s^2 -2s +5)(s+1))?

The Laplace transform can only be applied to functions that are defined for all non-negative values of t. It cannot be used if the function has a discontinuity or an infinite discontinuity.

5. Can the Laplace transform of (2s^2 +10s) / ((s^2 -2s +5)(s+1)) be inverted back to the original function?

Yes, the inverse Laplace transform can be used to find the original function from its Laplace transform. However, this process can be complex and may require the use of tables or software. In this case, the inverse Laplace transform of 2/s + 2/s^2 + 2/s^3 + 6/s^4 would be the original function (2s^2 +10s) / ((s^2 -2s +5)(s+1)).