Laplace transform: function defined by parts

In summary, the conversation discusses problems with transforming a function defined by parts and the use of the translation theorem. The correct form of the function is f(t) = tH(t) + H(t-2) - (t+1)H(t-4), with the third term being relevant in order to cancel out the first two terms.
libelec
I have this DE:

[tex]\[y'' - 4y' + 8y = f(t) = \left\{ \begin{array}{l}
t{\rm{ }},t \in [0,2) \\
t + 1{\rm{ }},t \in [2,4) \\
0{\rm{ }},t \ge 4 \\
\end{array} \right.\]
[/tex]

I have problems transforming f(t). I know that when I have a function defined by parts, I have to use the translation theorem. But for t > 4, f(t) = 0 would let me something like [tex]\[f(t) = t.H(t) + 1.H(t + 2) + 0.H(t + 4)\]
[/tex], the 3rd term being irrelevant.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, you did your shifting wrong.
You want to shift H(t) to the right, so you substract the shifting amount from the argument.
Second of all, the third term must be relevant, because you need it to cancel out the two first term, so the function will vanish.
So your function looks actually like this:
[tex]f(t)=tH(t)+H(t-2)-(t+1)H(t-4)[/tex]

Damn, you're right. I made some stupid mistakes there.

Thanks.

Related to Laplace transform: function defined by parts

1. What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. How is the Laplace transform defined by parts?

The Laplace transform of a function defined by parts is calculated by taking the Laplace transform of each piece of the function separately and then combining them using the properties of the transform.

3. What are the properties of the Laplace transform?

Some common properties of the Laplace transform include linearity, time-shifting, and differentiation. These properties can be used to simplify the calculation of the transform for complex functions.

4. What are the advantages of using the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform allows for the solution of differential equations and the analysis of systems in the frequency domain, which can provide insights into the behavior of these systems that are not easily observed in the time domain.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Laplace transform?

One limitation of the Laplace transform is that it can only be applied to functions that are defined for all positive values of time. It also assumes that the system being analyzed is linear and time-invariant, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.