Laplace transform, fraction expansion

In summary, the conversation was about finding the inverse Laplace transform of the equation (s^3+1)/(s^2(s^2+1)) through partial fraction expansion. The formula used for the partial fraction was incorrect and should have included a linear term in the numerator instead of a constant. The correct approach, known as the "Hall's method", was suggested. The conversation also touched on the topic of Laplace transforms being taught in K-12 grades and the difference between college and high school in the US.
sibiryk
I have y"+y=t , y(0)=1, y'=0

After Laplace transformation a got:

(S^3+1)/(S^2(S^2+1))
After I made a partial fraction expansion

(S^3+1)/(S^2(S^2+1))=a1/S^2+a2/S+a3/(S^2+1) (1)

It comes to a system where

a2=1
a1+a3=0 (2)
a2=0
a1=1

Here I am getting confused because according to (1) and (2)
a2 is equal to 0 and 1. What I should use for inverse transformation: zero, one, or both?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all check out the LaTex tutorial thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997".

Your problem is to exapand

[tex] \frac {1 + s^3} {s^2 (s^2+1)} [/tex]

Try seperating the polynomial in the numerator to get this

[tex] \frac 1 {s^2 (s^2+1)} + \frac s {(s^2+1)} [/tex]

IIRC the second fraction has a well known trasform, now use partial fractions on the first piece, it is pretty straight forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried that and it looks like it works for me.

Thank you!

Your basic formula for the "partial fractions" was wrong. If you have a quadratic, that cannot be factored into real factors, in the denominator, such as [tex]\frac{1}{s^2+1}[/tex], you will need a linear term in the numerator, not a constant: [tex]\frac{As+ B}{s^2+1}[/tex].

May I be so bold as to ask someone to be so kind to explain to me why/where/when/ Laplace Transforms are teached in K-12 grade? Really, that's so impressive.:smile: I expect great things from someone, well just some of them I suppose, alright, maybe one in a . . . several . . . thousand I guess, who study LT at such an early age.:smile:

saltydog said:
May I be so bold as to ask someone to be so kind to explain to me why/where/when/ Laplace Transforms are teached in K-12 grade? Really, that's so impressive.:smile: I expect great things from someone, well just some of them I suppose, alright, maybe one in a . . . several . . . thousand I guess, who study LT at such an early age.:smile:

may be it is time for me to move up:smile:

I'm not really familiar with this forum. Where should I post with stuff like that?

HallsofIvy said:
Your basic formula for the "partial fractions" was wrong. If you have a quadratic, that cannot be factored into real factors, in the denominator, such as [tex]\frac{1}{s^2+1}[/tex], you will need a linear term in the numerator, not a constant: [tex]\frac{As+ B}{s^2+1}[/tex].

I tried that. I must did something wrong because I was getting too many unknowns to solve equetions.

sibiryk said:
I'm not really familiar with this forum. Where should I post with stuff like that?

In the College Level section.

I found out not too long ago that to people outside the US, college=high school. But here college=university, which is why the other Homework Forum is named the way it is.

HallsofIvy said:
That's it! I was posting form work last night and did not have my book shelf to draw on. Looks like my solution gets the job done. There is always more then one way to approach problems.

I was lucky, in general you need to learn the correct (Hall's ) approach. It will, and does in this case, always get you to the correct solution. What I did worked and in someways is actually a simpler method, but it is not general and may not be simpler or even work in every case.

Your method worked out, but I can't figure a way HallsofIvy suggested.

I'm getting

(S-1)/(S^2+1) + 1/S^2.

The second part of it is known combination. The first is not.
Am I doing something wrong?

Related to Laplace transform, fraction expansion

1. What is the Laplace transform and what is its purpose?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. How is the Laplace transform related to Fourier transform?

The Laplace transform is a generalization of the Fourier transform, as it also converts a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. However, the Laplace transform allows for the analysis of more complex functions and systems.

3. What is the significance of a fraction expansion in Laplace transform?

A fraction expansion in Laplace transform is a way to decompose a function into simpler components that can be easily analyzed. It is often used to solve differential equations and find the inverse Laplace transform of a complex function.

4. How do you perform a fraction expansion in Laplace transform?

To perform a fraction expansion, the function must first be manipulated into a form that can be solved using partial fractions. This involves factoring the denominator and setting up equations for the unknown coefficients. The coefficients are then solved using algebraic methods.

5. What are some common applications of Laplace transform and fraction expansion?

Laplace transform and fraction expansion are commonly used in engineering, physics, and mathematics for solving differential equations, analyzing systems, and finding the inverse transform of complex functions. They are also used in control theory, signal processing, and circuit analysis.