Laplace tranform of unitstep (heaviside) function

In summary, the laplace transform of sin(t)[u(t)-u(t-pi)] can be simplified using the equation $\mathcal{L}f(t)u(t-a)=e^{-as}\mathcal{L}f(t+a)$.
dfang

Homework Statement

[/B]
I know for t[u(t)-u(t-2)], we can simplify that to tu(t)-((t-2)+2)u(t-2) which then gives us tu(t)-(t-2)u(t-2)-u(t-2). Now, the laplace transform seems trivial but I am having problems with this equation:
sin(t)[u(t)-u(t-pi)]

Homework Equations

[/B]n/a

3. The Attempt at a Solution

sin(t)[u(t)-u(t-pi)]
=sin(t)u(t) - sin(t)u(t-pi)
= sin(t)u(t) - sin ((t-pi)+pi)u(t-pi)
Where do we go from here as the t-pi+pi is inside the sine i.e its a function of sine. We can't exactly take it out and multiply over. How can we take this to the form where I can take the laplace transform easily ?
Similar problem where I am having trouble: e-t u(t-2). This one I do not even know where to start as the -t is in the exponent this time. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try using this: $$\mathcal{L}f(t)u(t-a)=\int_a^\infty e^{-st}f(t)~dt=\int_0^\infty e^{-s(v+a)}f(v+a)~dv$$ $$ =
e^{-as}\int_0^\infty e^{-sv}f(v+a)~dv =e^{-as}\int_0^\infty e^{-st}f(t+a)~dt=e^{-as}\mathcal{L}f(t+a) $$

Last edited:

Related to Laplace tranform of unitstep (heaviside) function

1. What is the Laplace transform of a unit step (Heaviside) function?

The Laplace transform of a unit step function, also known as the Heaviside function, is given by F(s) = 1/s. This means that the Laplace transform of a unit step function is equal to the inverse of the Laplace variable (s).

2. What is the significance of the Laplace transform of a unit step function?

The Laplace transform of a unit step function is used to analyze systems and signals in engineering and physics. It helps in simplifying complex differential equations and understanding the behavior of a system over time. It is also used to solve initial value problems in calculus.

3. How is the Laplace transform of a unit step function graphically represented?

The Laplace transform of a unit step function is represented by a horizontal line with a value of 1 for all positive values of t (time). This indicates that the function has a step discontinuity at t = 0, where it jumps from 0 to 1.

4. Can the Laplace transform of a unit step function be applied to functions with multiple steps?

Yes, the Laplace transform of a unit step function can be applied to functions with multiple steps. In such cases, the function is broken down into smaller intervals, and the Laplace transform is applied to each interval separately. The final result is obtained by adding the Laplace transforms of each interval.

5. How is the Laplace transform of a unit step function calculated?

The Laplace transform of a unit step function can be calculated using the formula F(s) = ∫0 e-stf(t) dt, where f(t) is the unit step function. This integral can be evaluated using integration by parts, and the final result is 1/s.