Laplace of t*x''(t) Pulling the derivative through the integral

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation using the Laplace transform. The speaker asks for an explanation of the assumption that the unknown function is "well-behaved enough" in order to reverse the limit processes. This assumption requires the integral of the function to exist and be differentiable.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I am working on solving the DE: t*x" + x' +t*x
by use of the Laplace transform. Now if we just look at the first term and its transform, we have

[tex]L[tx''(t)] = \int_0^\infty tx''e^{-st}\,dt = -\int_0^\infty \frac{d}{ds}\left(x''e^{-st}\right)\,dt[/tex]

Now in the next step of my text, they say that we can pull the derivative through the integral if we assume that the unknown x(t) is "well-behaved enough." Can someone please explain to my feeble mind what that means and how that allows us to reverse the limit processes? I would like to be able to understand it well enough that I can apply it to future problems.

Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone that knows more analysis might be able to give a better answer, but I think that it's usually enough that [tex]x(t)[/tex] is sufficiently well-behaved that the integral

[tex]\int_0^\infty \left(x''e^{-st}\right)\,dt[/tex]

exists and is a differentiable function of s.

Related to Laplace of t*x''(t) Pulling the derivative through the integral

1. What is the Laplace transform of a function?

The Laplace transform of a function is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is often used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations.

2. What is the derivative of the Laplace transform?

The derivative of the Laplace transform is known as the Laplace operator. It is represented by the letter s and is used to transform a function into its derivative. In other words, it is the inverse operation of the Laplace transform.

3. How is the derivative of the Laplace transform calculated?

The derivative of the Laplace transform is calculated by "pulling" the derivative through the integral, which means taking the derivative of the function inside the integral and then performing the integral on the resulting function.

4. What is the significance of "pulling" the derivative through the integral?

Pulling the derivative through the integral allows for the transformation of a function into its derivative, which can be useful in solving differential equations. It also allows for the calculation of higher order derivatives of the Laplace transform.

5. Are there any limitations to pulling the derivative through the integral?

Yes, there are limitations to pulling the derivative through the integral. It can only be done when the integral converges, and when the derivative of the function is continuous and bounded. In some cases, other mathematical techniques may need to be used to calculate the derivative of the Laplace transform.