Laplace of a Unit Step Function

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the Laplace transform of the function f(t) = {0, if t<4 and (t-3)^3 if t\geq4. The individual is unsure of how to solve it and asks for help. They suggest using the variable u=t-4 and changing the integral to solve for the Laplace transform. They also provide a potential answer, but they are unsure if it is correct.
sssssssssss

Homework Statement

f(t) = {0, if t<4 and (t-3)^3 if t[tex]\geq[/tex]4

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like its pretty basic but i can't get it down
I have u(t-4)(t-4)^3

Can i change it to u(t-4)^4?
Then do i multiply it out and take the laplace?
If someone can work it out for me that would be awesome, I have about 20 more and I just need an example, i appologize if that's against the rules.

I want to say the answer is (6/s^4 - 24/s^3 + 48/s^2 - 64/s)e^-4s but that's wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if this is the 'laplace' way of doing things, but change the variable of integration to u=t-4. Then what does the integral that defines the laplace transform look like in terms of u?

Related to Laplace of a Unit Step Function

What is the Laplace transform of a unit step function?

The Laplace transform of a unit step function, also known as the Heaviside function, is 1/s, where s is the complex variable in the Laplace transform.

How is the Laplace transform of a unit step function useful in science?

The Laplace transform of a unit step function is useful in solving differential equations and analyzing systems in control theory and signal processing. It allows us to easily find solutions to differential equations and study the behavior of systems over time.

What is the inverse Laplace transform of a unit step function?

The inverse Laplace transform of 1/s is the unit step function. This means that the unit step function can be retrieved by taking the inverse Laplace transform of its Laplace transform.

Can the Laplace transform of a unit step function be generalized to other functions?

Yes, the Laplace transform can be applied to a wide range of functions, not just the unit step function. It is a powerful tool in mathematics and engineering for solving differential equations and analyzing systems.

What is the relationship between the Laplace transform and the Fourier transform of a unit step function?

The Laplace transform and the Fourier transform of a unit step function are closely related. The Fourier transform is a special case of the Laplace transform when the complex variable s is purely imaginary. In other words, the Fourier transform is a specific instance of the Laplace transform for functions that are periodic in time.