Laplace Inverse Problems: 1/(s^2-6s+10) and s/(s+1)^2 Solutions

• Thread starter bdh2991
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laplace
In summary, for the first problem, I used the quadratic formula to solve for s. I wasn't able to figure out the answer. For the second problem, I split up the denominator and was thinking a=-1 and b=-1, but I didn't get the right answer. I think I need to work through the partial fraction decomposition correctly.
bdh2991

Homework Statement

I have two problems i can't figure out , laplace inverse of 1/(s^2-6s+10) and laplace inverse of s/(s+1)^2

Homework Equations

I use the table of laplace transforms in my book

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one i did the quadratic formula to solve for s but i still couldn't figure out the answeer

And the second one i split up the denominator and was thinkin a=-1 and b=-1 but i didnt get the right answer...im really having a hard timewith this stuff i feel like I am making it harder than it really is please help

Physics news on Phys.org
bdh2991 said:

Homework Statement

I have two problems i can't figure out , laplace inverse of 1/(s^2-6s+10) and laplace inverse of s/(s+1)^2

Homework Equations

I use the table of laplace transforms in my book

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one i did the quadratic formula to solve for s but i still couldn't figure out the answeer

And the second one i split up the denominator and was thinkin a=-1 and b=-1 but i didnt get the right answer...im really having a hard timewith this stuff i feel like I am making it harder than it really is please help

For the first, 1/(s^2-6s+10) = 1/( (s - 3)2 + 1). You can think of this as F(s - 3), where F(s) = 1/(s2 + 1). I think this is the direction you should take, but I haven't worked this one through.

For the second one, I don't think you set up your partial fraction decomposition correctly. If you wrote it as
$$\frac{s}{(s + 1)^2} = \frac{A}{s+1} + \frac{B}{s+1}$$

that is incorrect.
It should be

$$\frac{s}{(s + 1)^2} = \frac{A}{s+1} + \frac{B}{(s+1)^2}$$

ya i realized the first one you have to complete the square but for i haven't reworked the second one i'll try the partial fractions and see if it works out...thanks for the help!

Related to Laplace Inverse Problems: 1/(s^2-6s+10) and s/(s+1)^2 Solutions

What is a D.E. Laplace inverse?

A D.E. (differential equation) Laplace inverse is a mathematical operation that is used to solve differential equations by transforming them from the time domain to the frequency domain and then back again.

What is the purpose of using a D.E. Laplace inverse?

The purpose of using a D.E. Laplace inverse is to simplify the process of solving differential equations, especially those that are complex and difficult to solve using traditional methods. It allows for the use of algebraic operations instead of the more complicated calculus techniques.

What are the steps involved in finding a D.E. Laplace inverse?

The steps involved in finding a D.E. Laplace inverse include transforming the differential equation from the time domain to the frequency domain using the Laplace transform, manipulating the transformed equation algebraically, and then using the inverse Laplace transform to find the solution in the time domain.

What types of problems can be solved using a D.E. Laplace inverse?

A D.E. Laplace inverse can be used to solve a wide range of differential equations, including linear and non-linear equations, initial value problems, boundary value problems, and systems of equations.

What are the limitations of using a D.E. Laplace inverse?

One limitation of using a D.E. Laplace inverse is that it can only be applied to linear differential equations. It also requires some knowledge of the properties of the Laplace transform and can be challenging to use for non-mathematicians or those without a strong understanding of calculus.